1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering stiction

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Frogerelli, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stiction - the static friction that needs to be overcome to enable relative motion of stationary objects in contact. In other words, there is a greater force needed to initiate motion than to maintain motion.

I did a cursory search for this issue and didn't see anything.

When driving down the highway we are constantly making slight adjustments to direction, even when driving down a straight road. While driving down a highway, I have to overcome a stiff, resistive force in order to make the slight correction. That the effort of the force to turn the steering wheel then reduces once the turning motion has started can cause one to turn the wheel slightly farther than necessary or intended. It's not so bad that it is a continuous weaving motion, but it is bothersome.

Before I accept it as another quirk of the Prius or electric power steering (which I doubt is the inherent problem as I believe the electric only powers the hydraulic steering pump, not the actual power assistance) or take it to Toyota, I'd like to know if others experience the same sensation.

Thanks.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You should not be experiencing this. My car goes down the highway in a straight line with very few corrections, when a correction is required it takes only a little pressure on the steering wheel. It is as good in that respect as my 3 Series BMW.

I did have problems similar to what you describe with my Gen 2 Prius. It turned out to be an alignment issue, not enough toe in. It was the rear wheels that needed more toe in and was eventually fixed with shims. But rear alignment problems are, fortunately, fairly uncommon. But front wheel alignment issues can cause the same thing.

In your case I would recommend a 4 wheel alignment from a good shop, that may solve the problem and it needs to be done first in any case. It could also be a tire issue or some kind of suspension problem.

Actually the EPS detects when you put pressure on the steering wheel and the electric motor helps you turn it, there are no hydraulics involved.

alekska likes this.