1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering wheel alignment

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by nawlinsprius, May 13, 2008.

1. nawlinsprius

nawlinsprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hey, my first post here.
    2008 package2, 450miles so far, 51mpg after filling up first time (on the lcd seems like i average 53, and my wife 45, but i drove most of the miles. love the stealth slide :)

so i have been driving this for a week, but just noticed that the steering wheel is not straight when driving on a flat road, no matter if it's just me in the car, 2 people in front of equal weight or 5 people. the wheel is rotated about 2-3degrees...

do i need to go back t the dealer?

i did not hit anything, and regardless, i thought the steering is electric, so the wheels alignment shouldn't have anything to do with this. plus it doesn't pull to one side, it's pefectly straight driving when released...

any ideas?

thanks, you guys have a great forum!

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome:

Hi.

The dealer is supposed to check for the steering wheel to be straight during the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). They can fix this by performing a wheel alignment. You are entitled to one alignment within the first 12 mo / 20k (?) miles. So I would take it back and ask them to fix it, either right away if it really bugs you, or at the first service (5k or 6mos.)

3. MichaelSF

MichaelSF New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What the other post said.

There's all kinds of reasons that the alignment can be off by the time it gets to the showroom floor.

Tell em to fix it or else.

I am a stickler for a straight alignment. If I go on the freeway and it does not cruise for about a quarter mile in a straight line, I get an alignment. And I get it done at a shop that specializes in such and will warranty the work.

Good job on noticing that. Most drivers don't know squat about a proper alignment and wonder why their tires need to be replaced due to uneven wear.

4. Miracle326

Miracle326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've noticed this with my steering wheel, too!

Thanks for the posts on how to get this fixed. I, too, am a stickler for a proper alignment.

Btw - first post! Just got my 2008 Seaside Pearl with Package 6.

Yay!

5. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My steering wheel was off center also when I bought it. It drove straight(no alignment issues) but had the dealer fix it anyway.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a little known fact that on a Prius the technicians do not ever center the steering wheel. Rather, they rotate the car around the steering column.