1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Click When Turning Left and Right - Very Faint

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DrixlRey, Apr 6, 2017.

1. DrixlRey

DrixlRey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello, I have a 2013 Prius Plug-In. I've recently found a very faint clicking noise when turning sharply left or right. It sounds almost like in the radio. This click is VERY faint, not like the ones on Youtube about CV joints. If the radio or engine is on, you will not notice it. I can only hear it when I'm turning in a circle or parking spot and just letting the car move. It will click turning left, then when it turns back to neutral position.

I brought it to a Toyota dealer to see, at first they couldn't even hear it, and afterwards they can finally hear it. After they looked at it, they said they tried using TWO Prius and they both have this sound. (I don't really believe them.)

This SEEMS to have happened after a flat tire I had earlier this week, I don't know what I hit, I don't know if it broke anything.

Can anyone test this with your Prius? To see if you hear a click?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only thing which comes to my mind (I've been driving for past 50+ years) is the self-cancelling indicators (directionals here in USA), noticable as the steering-wheel self-centres!
    BTW does the noise occur continuously? ...and also Welcome to PriusChat! You're certain to find a good answer here! :)

#2 WilDavis, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. DrixlRey

DrixlRey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey thanks! It does make the same sound when it's self centering, but it's sounding also when I'm turning. It will reach a point and then any movement after that will start clickclickclick or grind, almost like a spring. Something I notice is, when it moves a few degrees it will click, I move it back a few degrees and it's clicking at the same spot/rate.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know your model, but I've had that on a few cars, it's generally been the steering column plastic surround. One I remember had a loose screw, the other was just not enough clearance, almost, but not quite, and a little lubrication solved it.

RCO, WilDavis and DrixlRey like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i think you may be ocd. ignore it and enjoy!(y)

RCO likes this.