1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Climate Control doesn't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PeterPrius, Jan 17, 2010.

1. PeterPrius

PeterPrius Hers is a 2009 Prius, non-SKS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The climate control buttons in the right side of my steering wheel don't work unless the wheel is turned almost half way around or more. Weird.

But I've verified this several times. While parking in an empty lot I would end up with the wheel cranked in various positions and the controls worked when the buttons were at the 80 degree - 290 degree position (mostly left side).

I would love to figure out why this is the case because I use recirculate often when I'm stuck behind smelly cars as we accelerate from stop lights. Then I turn it off until I need it again.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a spiral cable within the steering wheel hub that connects the switches to the wiring harness. That cable apparently has an intermittent connection.

3. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So should I take it to the dealership and ask them to check it out? Or is this something that I can snap back into place myself?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, you would need to remove the airbag in the steering wheel hub, then replace the spiral cable (as it apparently has a broken wire within.) There are safety issues associated with removing the airbag, so if you don't have experience with that you'd be better off having the dealer fix the problem.

5. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I don't have the experience, not that I'm great at dismantling just about anything. ;)