1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Comfort

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Dec 15, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In my first month of ownership with my Prius I am really loving the car; drives great, and with the snow storms we had last week the car did quite well in handling in the adverse road conditions.

Now my only gripe so far is the steering wheel, mainly the surface of it. When I drive on short-range trips or commuting, the wheel is fine in my hands. But when I am doing a long-distance road trip like I did going to TX for thanksgiving, my hands (fingers mostly) felt fatigued holding on the hard wheel and had to change positions often because it was getting uncomfortable.

Does anyone know what the steering wheel diameter (or size) is? I really need to get a wheel cover that is softer on my hands when I drive those long distances, because it can be quite tiring on my fingers to hold such a hard rubber wheel for hours at a time when driving. Many thanks! :)

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Dec 15 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]363013[/snapback]</div>
    Add a Wheelskins cover. The wheel is actually an oval. Any wheelskin dealer will have a chart showing the size needed. It fits really tight and is a struggle to slip over the wheel before beginning lacing. Gives the wheel a really great feel for not many $$.

Here's where I got mine : http://www.autobarn.net/wheelgenleat.html

- Tom

3. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't have your problem because I have option 8, which includes the leather-wrapped wheel. Anyway, the steering wheel isn't exactly round---it's slightly oblong. The diameter across the widest span is 14 1/2", and 13 1/2" at the narrowest span.
    Most after-market wheel covers (available almost any auto parts store, Target, Walmart, etc.) are "stretchable", and should fit the Prius wheel with no problem. :)

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Dec 15 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]363018[/snapback]</div>
    I second that recommendation for a wheelskin. I bought mine through the priuschat store.