1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel control button issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusgto, Sep 5, 2012.

1. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,
    My 05 has a problem with the recirculate and defrost buttons on the wheel. The recirculate button will sometimes toggle the MFD between the consumption screen and the energy monitor screen like the info button does and won't change the recirculate light on the dash at all. Sometimes it will do nothing, and other times it works normal changing from outside air to recirculate. Also the defrost button will sometimes turn on the windshield defroster with 1 push then turn on the rear defroster with a second push and both will go off on the 3rd push. Other times both defrost buttons will do nothing or work normally. When the wheel buttons are acting up the MFD will control both the recirculate and defrost functions normally so I don't think the MFD is the problem. The 12 volt battery has been checked and is good at 12.4 volts and there is no malfunction lights or codes set in the system. All the other buttons on the wheel function normally. Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas what to check? Thanks, Todd

2. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! nobody has any ideas? Guess I'm on my own on this one.

3. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Look at Hybrid_Tom's posts about '2006 steering wheel'. He tracked his problem down to the circuit board the buttons are mounted on. Be very careful working around the air bag.

4. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks koolingit, looks like a good place to start. One thing I noticed is that when the car is first started it acts up more but, after about one or two minutes of driving it acts normal.