1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel controls? 2017 C

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by gabey, Feb 15, 2024.

1. gabey

gabey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    wanting to upgrade my head unit in my 17 C but concerned on how involved the steering wheel control wiring is? I know I'll need an adapter but how exactly is it installed? do I need to mess with the steering wheel at all or is it all able to be done behind the head unit area?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe look at the instructions for the unit most of those steering wheel controls if you pop your side torx screws loose You can then slide off the center pad and unplug the yellow connector and set it aside and then you will see how the buttons literally just pull off of the frame of the steering wheel that just held on with rubber grommets if you will You can pull them off and then you can see where they plug into their plugs and then if you look at the instructions for your head unit whether it's Alpine or whatever there should be some fairly clear instructions on whether you're going to mess with the steering wheel I would think you would be messing after The clock spring personally but what do I know The generation 2 steering wheel is very similar to the one in the C matter of fact I think I can take the one in the C and put it in the two as the twos are getting hard to find.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's no big deal.

You buy a little box that translates the Toyota switches into something your new head unit will understand. That was about $100 when we did ours in 2018. The box showed up pre-programmed for our installation and it worked on the first try. (Thanks Crutchfield!)

All of the work was in the dash behind the head unit- really just find a spot for the box, stick it in there with some double-sided tape, and then route the wires where they need to go.

It's really easy to do a stereo in a c. Only one panel to pop off and everything is very accessible. Generous space in there too.