1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel controls,cruise control inop, air bag light, replaced spiral cable.Rural Mail Carrier

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by northwichita, Dec 5, 2010.

1. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My steering wheel controls on the lower half quit working last year , then the cruise control quit intermittently last month , then the air bag light starts appearing last week. Deciding this means a failed clock spring / spiral cable , I took apart my spiral cable housing, and found two obvious breaks in the electrical wiring . I first bought a salvage unit on Ebay, to find it arrived bound, didn't turn freely (and no returns from seller). I then bought one from the dealer and installed it last week and very happily have all symptoms fixed!
    The replacement was easier than I expected, the steering wheel was not actually very tight, I doubt I needed the steering wheel puller I 'borrowed' from the parts store , could have just loosed the main nut, wiggled and tugged it loose. Just a note be sure to remove 12 volt power from the car, and mark the steering wheel center shaft to the steering wheel for reinstall .

As a rural mail carrier I deliver mail out of my prius with the window down, traveling about 5 hours a day on dusty ,sand roads in Kansas. The car interior gets dusty and this caused the failure of the spiral cable.
    Pic's of the old failed unit, the new one comes with some lubricant, white perhaps lithium grease for the ribbons/ wheels, mine had dryed up patches of grease, some I cleaned off the ribbons before the pictures where taken. I'll check the new one in a year, may regrease , cleaning it out to try to prevent this from happening again. I did add some plastic under the airbag to improvise a dust shield for the new spiral cable. Car has 197k bought it with 106k , now has around 60 k from driving on the route.

http://priuschat.com/forums/members/northwichita-albums-spiral-cable-clock-spring.html

2 people like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Steering wheel controls,cruise control inop, air bag light, replaced spiral cable.Rural Mail Car

Nice work. What was the part number and price of the replacement spiral cable from your dealer?

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Steering wheel controls,cruise control inop, air bag light, replaced spiral cable.Rural Mail Car

Thanks, the spiral cable part no. was 84306-0E010 ' CABLE SUB- ' and with 20% dealership coupon the amount was $233.74 before tax.

Also the replacement spiral cable had different numbers on the case (original has 48020 and 75B084 ),hard to read in the photo's, asked and was told by the dealer's part's guy that referred to a specific lot, and didn't matter, he was right.

4. Zozman

Zozman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hello, I've got the same problem with my car and the original parts number is the same (48020 and 75B084). Can you send me information about your new one. Was it really good? Thanks for your help! Zozman from Hungary

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's been a while since I replaced the last one, the good ones last several years running on dusty roads while delivering mail with the window down. I have found, as have others , the cheaper Chinese made spiral cables don't last very long ( around 6 months for me, sometimes not at all), make sure they are Japanese sourced. I'd suggest searching other threads for repair pointers in doing the repair, good luck.