1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

steering wheel cover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NiMHpwr, Nov 12, 2004.

1. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I was wondering if anyone has had a leather steering wheel cover installed. I was searching the web for one that is fitted and would cover the arms too, but have had no luck. If anyone knows of where to get one or of a place in the SF Bay Area that installs them that would be great.

Thanks,

Justin

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember someone posting a link to a site that sell leather covers for the steering wheel. Ah... it's www.wheelskins.com

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put on a wheelskins leather cover about 2 weeks ago. I really like the looks. I could have done a little better job putting it on...it takes about an hour to do and is tedioius work. It's a little tricky to get the stitching to lay flat and to get the cover centered properly (important if you do a 2 tone) But, the feel is fantastic, I got the blue & black..the blue is more of a slate blue/gray and is subtle and classy...it's not the royal blue that it looks like on the web site....btw, I have a Seaside Pearl, thus the blue toned cover.

They shipped fast and it's a very high quality product, not a cheapo walmart cover, it fits very tightly and is clearly customized for the Prius wheel.

4. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I got the two-toned Europerf version of the Wheelskins cover. It's lasted just fine afer several months and looks very made to fit. You do have to literally sew it on to the wheel, but it's worth the effort. I got the tan/black combo to go with the tan interior. I ordered it online and it arrived in just a few days. This isn't anything you need to have someone else do for you.

5. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's anyone here who would know whether the stitching is a little tricky, it's gotta be Evan! :lol: Hey Doc, I'll bet you took more care stitching up your wheel cover than some "other" similar jobs! :lol: :wink: I know what you mean, though. I had to remove mine and redo the first time. I think it took well over two hours, but should be better this time. I have one inbound for the '05 now, and heartily endorse their covers.

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Uh Oh! I hope he didn't use the ones that dissolve for this. :lol:

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wish my patients came pre-perforated for where the sutures go!!

8. tag

tag Senior Member

:lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

but wait....wouldn\'t those "pre-perfs" get some kind of discount for that?

9. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Thanks for all the input. I checked out the wheelskins website, but I am still a little unsure. I would appreciate it if someone could post a picture of how it looks. Thanks again.

Justin

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue in the closeup isn't really what it looks like, it's much more of a slate blue... kinda like the first shot.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know why those images won't display..anyway the URLs are good...I think.

12. tag

tag Senior Member

Based upon the first pic, the color certainly does match the exterior color very closely. Nice job!

We have to remember to ask Danny about that. I haven't been able to get any of the pics in the albums to display by linking, thumbnails or otherwise.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving gloves are a lot easier, and they keep smudges off the MFD :_>

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How did you get the cover on? Did you have to sew it on by yourself?

15. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Thanks Evan,

It looks really good. What I am looking for is a cover that goes over the posts too. I am going to look a bit longer to see if I can find one or have it custom made otherwise I think I am going to get the charcoal Wheelskin.

Thanks Again,

Justin

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you have to sew it on...the cover comes pre-perforated but lining up the holes is a little tricky and your fingers are pretty sore when you finish. But it isn't 'difficult', just time consuming and clumbsy.

If you magnify my image of the close up of the steering wheel you can see the stitching. It's a much tighter and surer fit than an elasticised thing from Wal-mart or one where you wrap the outside of the cover.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, anyone notice the MFD Hood that Robin's selling..that new version is pretty sharp. The red tint in the image is some a digial artifact due to the texture of the material...it's called Moire' for anyone that cares. The real deal is pure black.

This shot is better color adjusted:
    [​IMG]

18. guyboston

guyboston New Member

Did you get the "Sea Blue" or the "Cobalt" to match your exterior?

(It looks like you got the Sea Blue but I never trust my eyes shopping online!)

The price is right at Wheelskins too, considering you get to customise the product...

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it was the Sea Blue, no way I would've gotten Cobalt, the other 'blue' is a possibility, but I'm almost positive (98%) it's Sea Blue.

20. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how do they make the cover? leather dyeing isn't very beneficial to the environment :-(