1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel jolt when powering on hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dan.j.allen, Sep 7, 2007.

1. dan.j.allen

dan.j.allen New Member

I am posting this scenario to determine if what I am experiencing is normal behavior or whether something may be wrong with the system. I am looking for thumbs up or down.

I have a 2007 Prius with less than 1,000 miles. With the Prius off, these are the steps that I take:

1. Depress the break (and keep it depressed)
    2. Hold down the power button for a couple of seconds

As soon as the hybrid system comes on, the steering wheel jolts (or jerks) in one direction sharply. If my hands are on the wheel, it takes them for a short ride. It doesn't happen every time, but it has been fairly consistent.

Should this be happening? If it is, I am sort of interested to know if there is a way to avoid it.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Allen @ Sep 7 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]508879[/snapback]</div>
    Since my car is not broken, I cannot step on the break. However, when I step on the brake, I only push the power button momentarily, nowhere nearly as long as two seconds. Perhaps that is your problem.

3. dan.j.allen

dan.j.allen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 7 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]508882[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I will relax on the length of time I hit the button. The dealer made it a point for me to hold it down for three seconds, but the manual does say just to press it firmly.

What do you mean that you cannot step on the break? Was that just a joke?

4. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Allen @ Sep 7 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]508885[/snapback]</div>
    From www.dictionary.com:

5. dan.j.allen

dan.j.allen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 7 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]508882[/snapback]</div>
    I tried it out again and even with a quick press of the button, the steering wheel makes a quick, short movement. It is almost like a lock is being released. Since I have had the car for less than a week, I just cannot remember whether it did this from the beginning and now I am just conscious of it.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 7 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]508896[/snapback]</div>
    C'mon, give the new guy a brake. :lol:

He's got a serious question that would be scaring me if it happened to my car.

What we should find out is the name of the dealer so he can be taught, corrected or avoided.

BTW -- Welcome, Dan Allen. IsrAmeriPrius always has something good to right. (Good won, Non?)

7. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

I too have an 07 with 1K miles. Mine does not do that but lets clarify. When you push the start button it should turn on just electric. Then a few seconds later the ICE should turn on. or are you saying that the ICE turns on the second you start it. Mine never does that. And even when the ICE turns on its pretty soft..no steering wheel movement at all. Now when I put it in park thats another story...sometimes when I push the Park button it makes a nice big clunk with the car jiggling a little. Thats with me dead stopped and on the brake pretty good and most tim es with the E brake on before engaging park too. Thought it was normal. Once it even jumped a little about 5 inches forward when I hit park. Scrared the sh*t out of me. I think you should maybe take it back for a check up. We got us a some weird cars eh? But man I do love this car!

8. dan.j.allen

dan.j.allen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 8 2007, 01:01 AM) [snapback]508934[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I really dig the car too. I have had tons of fun with it so far and if it weren't for this situation arising, I have no other complains.

It appears that everything, including the ICE, is coming on all at once. I do remember it being a gradual process before. The strange part is that the light is amber now when it turns on, and I remember it being green. This is different than when you cycle through the three modes ACC, In-On, and Off because I am depressing the break.

Regarding the car going into park, yeah, it does jump a bit. But that seems to happen on other automatics that I have driven. I am coming from driving a manual, which stays put when you pull that parking break up.

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Allen @ Sep 8 2007, 12:28 AM) [snapback]508952[/snapback]</div>
    Time to call in the experts. And if they aren't posting or leaving you PMs by noon MD time, I'd get right on over to the dealer.

If you are following the normal start-up of stepping on the brake and pressing the start button (single, deliberate push, not holding it), then all of your electronics should start, the MFD should turn on, the radio should become available, and, after several seconds, the ICE should start. If it all starts at once, and the real experts (many of whom are PC regulars) can't ID the problem, then head directly to the dealer's place and demand immediate diagnosis.

BTW: When you start your car, do you put it in gear immediately and drive away (no problem if the Ready lamp is lighted), or do you wait for the ICE to complete its warmup and turn off? If you 've consistently done it one way, perhaps you could vary the start to see if that has any impact.

All the best to you!

10. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Remember that the power steering is electronic, not hydraulic like in most other cars. If you are applying any pressure to the wheel before you turn on the car it's possible that as the power steering computer wakes up it will sense your request to turn the wheel and suddenly add electric boost to assist you.
    Could that be what you are experiencing?

11. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 7 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]508896[/snapback]</div>

This is rude, and frankly looks poorly on you I'm sorry to say.

12. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Allen @ Sep 7 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]508952[/snapback]</div>
    It's funny how many people remember it this way, but I assure you that the power light is supposed to glow green in "accessory" mode (one push of the button without pressing the brake) amber in "standby" (a second press of the button without the brake), and no light at all when the car is ready to be driven. I think people don't really notice the light until they get confused about the starting procedure, and then when green doesn't mean GO it seems so counter-intuitive they think it must be wrong.

13. dan.j.allen

dan.j.allen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Sep 8 2007, 02:00 AM) [snapback]508963[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I am definitely recognizing that my memory was pretty weak in this area. What I see is that the READY light stays on in the dash and the power button is dark. This appears to be what is expected for driving.

Thanks for all the great feedback! There is definitely something up. I just took it for a spin around the block and it there is definitely noises that it didn't make before. Regardless of the scenario, when I hit that power button, the steering wheel jerks.

I am going to head to the dealer tomorrow and let them take a look. Heck, while I am there I am going to get into another Prius and go through the experience again just so I have a basis for comparison. That way I will know exactly what to expect. That is the trouble with only having one ;)

14. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Allen @ Sep 7 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]508952[/snapback]</div>
    Mine does that every now and then when the HV battery charge is low (two or three bars).

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the steering is electric- should not be tied to the ICE being on or not, otherwise we'd all kinda be screwed in a nice long glide with the ICE off. ;)

are your hands on the wheel when you press the button? can you leave your hands off and see what happens? and, which direction does it jolt? are you parking on a nice flat surface?

what kind of "new" noises? under 1k miles is nothing in terms of getting used to the very different sounds the car makes.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

Dan Allen:
    I spent some time going over the manual again...actually its my 3rd time...just to check what I remembered and maybe your issue is you have batt charging issues since the ICE may come on at start with low batt as the astute gent before me mentioned. I bet its a simple fix at the dealer....at least I'm hoping that for you....Good luck & sorry to hear you may have a minor issue with your baby.

18. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does it have anything to do with the steering wheel position and has that changed recently?

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not normal for the steering wheel to jerk when you power up. You either have a problem with the electric power steering, or your Prius is pulling a bit when started. Make sure you have good pressure on the brake before powering up. If it keeps jumping, see the dealer.

Tom

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    crikey, 13 posts before anyone even came *close* to addressing the
    actual problem. C'mon, guys, you can do better signal-to-noise
    than this.
    Does the car pull in either direction under normal, straight-ahead
    driving?
    Park on a level surface with the wheels straight ahead, and arrange
    to power up in that location. Hands off the wheel. Watch it
    carefully as the system comes up. Which way does it jerk? How
    far? Does it stay put, or return to where it started?
    The Classics had a problem with some of the torque/angle sensor pots
    in the steering system getting flakey, but the '04+ cars have a
    contactless reluctance-based sensor that shouldn't wear out. But
    if the handler circuit for that started to go or the connection
    to the steering column was flakey, that's a different story.
    _H*