1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rochesteruser, Feb 23, 2008.

1. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it just me, or is the lighted steering wheel on my Prius super dim? Anyone know how to turn up the lights on the steering wheel?

2. rochesteruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I answered my own question. It sounds like it can't be done. :(

3. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The general theory is that Toyota made the steering wheel lights dim to give owners one thing to complain about.

4. rochesteruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That seems odd. This car is so great and so annoying all at the same time.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Once you get used to them, they are bright enough. I had the same complaint when my Prius was new. The button lights are bright enough to see the buttons when it is dark, otherwise ambient light is bright enough. That said, it would be nice if they were adjustable.

Another minor brightness complaint that I have involves the relationship of brightness between the speedo display and the MFD button lights. On dark nights I would dim the speedo a bit more, but then the MFD buttons go out completely.

Tom

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't even look at them anymore. Some have dots, others dips and some bumps.

I know that the INFO is the second-down on the right. Volume is upper-left. [AUTO A/C] is half the lower-left - under the audio controls - with temp controls underneath and the lower-right is where I control defrosting and recirculation. Since I don't have a bluetooth phone, I mess with those buttons.

To me, hitting the steering wheel buttons is just as natural as a QWERTY keyboard.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I havm the sa,e fee;ing abiut the QWERTY kwybrd.

Rom

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ,jay co ',.pyf

9. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Seems true.
    Toyota maybe trying every possible way to save money on Prius production.

I suspect the steering wheel buttons maybe just lit by a single LED on each side only. Not to mention the power window switches are not lit at all.

10. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wait a minute, The steering wheel buttons have lights??? lol

11. eprupis

eprupis New Member

Why isn't the AC fan speed control on the steering wheel? I rarely adjust the temperature control, which is on the steering wheel, but I am always adjusting the fan speed which requires a distracting use of the display controls. And since I can't touch type, better lights on the wheel controls would be greatly appreciated.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems that the design is that you use the Auto AC, which adjusts the fan speed automatically. You can easily adjust the temp from the steering wheel, and then let the system take care of the rest.

When I'm driving at night, I turn down the speedo display (to reduce the green glare), and I can see the steering wheel lights just fine if I need to glance down.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I can trust my memory cells this morning, the QWERTY layout was designed to slow people down. The mechanical arms on ancient typewriters kept getting stuck because the typists were going too fast. The DVORAK layout puts the most-used letters in the easiest-to-reach places, but people reject it because it 'looks weird' or isn't what they're used to.

14. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Like Tony, I just feel the buttons. Each one either has a unique location or feature. I don't like taking my eyes off the road for very long so this seems to work out.

Anyone ever try to mod the steering wheel lights?

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because automatic climate control takes care of that? You adjust the temperature to your liking, and let the system do the rest.

16. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah I think people have tried modding the lights... or at least thought about it. But I think by the time you get close to coming up with a solution, you've gotten used to the feel of the buttons. Making fun of QWERTY is fun, but honestly, if you use the buttons a lot you'll know them by touch pretty quickly. I don't take my eyes off the road to find buttons anymore.

And re: fan speed, yes, try forcing yourself to use the auto a/c button and temp +- buttons for a while without using the climate screen. I was skeptical but I forced myself to do it, and I literally NEVER use the climate screen anymore because the buttons take care of it all... the a/c controls humidity very well, temp, etc. and if I want higher fan speed, I bump the temp a little.

17. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is how I dress when I drive, so I don't have an issue seeing the steering wheel controls. I do however get that glare that everyone complains about.
    [​IMG]

hemingways likes this.
  18. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I think I would find it distracting, or at least annoying, if the steering wheel had brighter lights on it.

19. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Adjustable would be cool, and we could all have our pick.

20. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A little off-topic, but does anyone know how to get to the underside of the buttons. I have a squeaky one that needs attention. Does the silver (surrounding) frame simply snap off?