1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel mute for Bluetooth fones?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SebMike, May 31, 2006.

1. SebMike

SebMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read the manual, and it doesn't make any reference to such a feature (but it wouldn't be the first time that instructions were hidden in plain sight for me), but does anyone know if there is a way to mute a bluetooth phone from the steering wheel?

I see the mute button on the MFD, and it works, but I always seem to reach for it as I go over bumpy terrain, and my hand-eye coordination doesn't track well I suppose, but it sure would be nice to be able to mute the microphone from the steering wheel controls.

The voice activation button, while in a call, does nothing...seems like an obvious (to me) choice to allow toggling of the mic mute. If only we could hack our own firmware...

Thanks,
    Mike

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SebMike @ May 30 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]263236[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful: you might press Self-Destruct.

I've been meaning to record a female voice mimicing the Nav's "Jill" voice:

"Self-Destruct has been enabled. Please exit the vehicle and move one. thousand. meters. away for safety."

1. Burn a CD with a music track, followed by the "self-destruct" announcement. Make the voice somewhat louder than the song to ensure your passenger can hear it well.

2. While playing the music track, ask your passenger to do something for you on the MFD.

3. Wait for a couple of button presses, then advance the CD track with your thumb at the steering wheel.

4. Watch the passenger's face as the message comes up!

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 31 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]263492[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... that's a great idea. :) Reminds me of a time a few years back when I had a handsfree speakerphone accessory for my Nokia phone and had a friend silently on the line when I picked up a date (now wife) and shortly after she got in he said "your door is ajar". Made her do a double-take, but she quickly figured out our gag. <_<

Back to your post, there are many incredible text-to-speech engines such as Loquendo that make incredibly real-sounding voices (with free interactive samplers), if you want to move forward with your gag...

Loquendo

That one even supports emotions (laugh, cry, sneeze, cough, kiss, etc...) and is quite cool. :)

- Kevin

4. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 31 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]263492[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'm going to have to reserve a spot in my changer for that prank. Can you post an .mp3 if you do it to save other pranksters some time?