1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel not round?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JonathanK, Jun 19, 2009.

1. JonathanK

JonathanK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had my Gen III for about a week, and I am loving it. One thing I am having trouble getting used to is my steering wheel. It is not round. The bottom part flattens out a bit. I checked with my dealer and their test drive car also has a non-round wheel. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The flat bottom is to allow you to get into the car without rubbing your legs on the bottom of the steering wheel. Just like a Ferrari! :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The steering wheel is not round...it is slightly oval...presumably to allow for more leg/knee room. The Gen II steering wheel is very small compared to most "normal" cars and in the Gen III they took it a step further and made it more adventageous to taller/larger drivers.

If Gen IV follows suit we may see the futuristic (seen in concept cars) handlebar steering "wheel" shaped much like a Playstation controller...can't wait for that!

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The only thing cooler than the steering not being round in the Gen III Prius is if it had KITT's steering wheel :D

[​IMG]

Really though, I noticed the irregular shape back in February at the Prius Connection event and thought it was a nice touch with thought to getting in and out for those who like the wheel in a low position (such as myself).

1 person likes this.
  5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I noticed the flat part on the bottom too...