1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel peeling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Peter1, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Peter1

Peter1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was out of town for two years, and there was very heavy rain here for an extended time. When I got back everything was damp, mold on dashboard, steering wheel and seatbelts. I used hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and baking soda. Whether that contributed to the steering wheel issue, I'm not sure.
    The steering wheel and buttons are like melting rubber now. This morning, my hands were black after driving.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota sells new steering wheels, or you could buy salvage

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If your cleaning products didn't affect the leather and plastic, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 2 years of mold and mildew growing did.

#3 vvillovv, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Salvage Wheels the rim only - the airbag are only about 50 bucks and very nice condition usually you can get the buttons off the floor of the car or they took off the airbag That's where the money is apparently to some people The steering wheel rim is actually worthless The buttons if your plastics are good that the buttons are sitting in those silver things the new rubbers can be had all over the web even in colors believe it or not so there's always that.