1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel slightly off center after new Wheel Bearing and Passenger CV Axel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheLastMojojomo, Dec 27, 2019.

1. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi Prius Friends,

I just replaced my passenger Wheel Bearing and CV Axel a couple of days ago on my 09 with 162k hard miles. Now my steering wheel is slightly off center. The wheel centers itself and drives straight when turned a few degrees to the left.

I removed the steering knuckle to get the bearing punched out as well. Also when performing this job I only jacked up the passenger side of the vehicle. In hindsight, I probably should have jacked up the entire front end since I was moving the steering wheel around quite a bit and probably was putting unnecessary stress on the steering system. Could not jacking up the front end and turning the steering wheel have caused this alignment issue by over stressing the steering system? Or maybe it was just removing the knuckle and fiddling with the suspension.

How should I go about fixing this? Should I take it to get aligned and have it professionally inspected or should I try adjusting the tie rod ends for starters? The vehicle STILL TRACKS STRAIGHT but the steering wheel's center is now a few degrees to the left of what it was. Just looking for some advice from some experienced members/mechanics. I'm just a diy'er and have no formal training. Thanks!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was once a recall for Gen2 Prius because the mounts for where the steering column connects with the gears on the steering rack weren't fully secured... I had this problem in 2013 and my left wheel had a little bit of movement in it and the tire store said only way to fix it was a new steering rack. But the recall had not expired at that time and a Toyota Stealership fixed it for free by adding some bolts to the steering column... I watched a video about it on you tube once and I'm pretty sure there's some posts about it on here. Most people don't know about this super easy fix so Gen2 steering racks are still one of the most popular Prius parts sold at wrecking yards. If you find info about all this, please share links here, because I'd like to have them to share with folks in the future who have this problem... This is the third time I've written all this info and at this point I'd rather just cut & paste from now on.

3. David Rush

David Rush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Back when tires were 70 or 80 profile, several times I changed tie rod ends and adjusted the toe in/out until the steering wheel was back to 12 o'clock with no tire wear problems.
    Now I use a laser level pointing at a wall and, again, with no tire wear problems or tramlining effects.
    I also do not rotate tires to track any tire wear issues.

4. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct adjusting the tie rod ends are the way to center a steering wheel.

I'd assume you disconnected the tie rod to remove the knuckle.

You could DIY the tie rod adjustment to center the steering wheel, but using professional alignment measuring tools would be best to ensure tire wear is minimized.

Good luck.

TheLastMojojomo and scona like this.
  5. Georgios

Georgios Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think when you remove the knuckle and put ne bearing in most likely you would off cemter the alignment anyway. Take it to a shop and they would fix that i think. I have done that before after replacing bearings and it fixed for like few months and came off alignment same way like you say.

Question: how did you disconnect the cv axle from the trans? I need to replace my cv axles and will havw to know. I think the trans oil also leaks out? Thanks