1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jared2, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

I love the brakes on my 2005 Prius. I'm not sure about the steering. It has a lot less feel than my 1995 Tercel. Not a big problem, but what do you think about the steering?

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I find the steering ok. It doesn't provide a ton of road feel, but then again, I rarley drive this car towards the edge of it's traction. I like that the wheel take some effort to turn (compare to my 96 Nissan Maxima). So I have no problem with the wheel, I actually struggle more with the brakes as 1) I would like to know when I actually use the friction brakes and) when coming to a stop and switching from regen to friction it can act/feel funnny.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

Thanks for your comment. I guess I am just used to the agility of the Tercel - a small light car with boosted power steering. It is amazing getting through dense traffic (the only driving condtions in New York) The Prius is not agile, but it is smoother and quieter - a great highway cruiser. As to the brakes, they are so sensitive that I actually thought something was wrong with them after driving a pickup truck for a few days. I got in the Prius and stomped on the brakes as though I was still in the truck. I know what you mean about the feel as you come to a stop, but that does not bother me - I just lessen the pedal pressure and it stops smoothly. In general, the Prius is perfect for my commute, but not a great handling and driving machine. But then, I'm not in nascar.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the power steering is electric vs. hydraulic in your Tercel. That'll attribute to the slightly numb feeling you get, sorta as if you're using a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel except not that noisy when you turn.