1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stepping on the gas in Park

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rhino, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius. Pkg 3. No Nav.

So I am installing the Scangauge II into the car. The car is running in park. I see the RPM running. I am really happy.

I step on the gas to see what is happening. I can get the rpm to go from 1500 to 2500. Surprized that this would even happen, I switched screen. It does not show that the ICE is charging the battery. Certainly, the engine is not driving the car. In fact, no arrows are shown at all.

So what is the car doing when it is in park and you step on the gas? Is it just warming up?? Is the battery charging?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you push the gas down in P and the engine is not running it will start. The RPM you observed seems about right to me with the gas pushed down. If the car is cold it will run for about 1 minute at about 1280 RPM (or maybe 1260 RPM) before it starts charging the battery. The exception is if the battery is very low. If the engine is already warm it should charge the battery in P if needed. If you have it in N it will not charge the battery because both MGs are electrically disconnected.

You may also notice that if you start driving with a cold engine before the 1 minute is up the engine will not provide power to the wheels, you will be driving on the battery, unless you really push the gas down quite a ways.

1 person likes this.