1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo install update: We have low end

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sadironmusic, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Sadironmusic

Sadironmusic New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have another thread going but I figured I'd update with all the photos here since I moved them to a photobucket album.

These are the pics from start to finish. I didn't take a ton, but just wanted to document the process.

As I said in the title I added a sub. My goal wasn't to get deep, thumping, car shaking bass that has no tone to it at all, but instead to augment the new speakers I put in. I put in a set of Infinity Primus PR6500cs components in the front doors and while they were doing great for mids and high, they were struggling with the bass. So the solution was to get something to take the bass off their plate and let them do what they're good at.

I looked around quite a bit over the last week or so. I didn't want to spend a ton on a sub. I didn't want a huge box. Finally I found that Best Buy was clearing out the Polk Dxi108 and selling them for $75. That's $75 for the speaker and the enclosure. So I drove to Cedar Rapids (the local best Buy didn't have any in stock) and then went to Wal-Mart and got a $59 Dual XPR520 amp and a $25 Schoche install kit. In and out for just a little over $150.

The install was pretty easy. I continue to be amazed at how easy it is to get the Prius apart. I've had the dash apart 3 or 4 times now and it's just as easy as anything. I ran the remote power cable for the amp down the passenger side and the RCA cable down the driver's side The panels along the doors came off so easy as well. I tucked the cables up around the back seats and into the cargo tray. Then I Attached the power cables and the ground. Fired the thing up and was golden.

I will say this: I know you can spend a crap ton of money on this stuff and I'm sure at the the upper levels the difference is noticeable and pleasing, but this install sounds pretty darn amazing. I thought a lot about what I wanted to achieve and then I did it. The 8" speaker on the Polk is the perfect size for my application. The Dual is more than adequate to drive is and the Schoche wiring kit was high quality for the money.

This is the best sound setup I've had in any vehicle so far. I'm an audio engineer among other things and am listening to music on $1500 studio monitors as I write this. I've worked with sound for the past 25+ years and I know what sounds good. This new setup in my car is really pleasing me a lot.

So here's what I installed:
    JVC AV61BT head unit
    Infinity Primus PR6500cs component speakers
    Polk DXi108 sub
    Dual XPR520 400 watt 2 channel amp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

enerjazz and P&T PRIUS like this.
  2. chaps

chaps Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome

3. caleb smith

caleb smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you link me to tutorials you used? I'm looking to install a headunit along with some more door speakers. Will add sub later on. Need to know what I need. Thank you :)

4. toddrav

toddrav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been on the boards prepping for my own 'low cost' upgrade.
    Did you do anything to reduce road noise?

5. Sadironmusic

Sadironmusic New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't do anything to reduce road noise. Haven't ever used any of that stuff. and would rather spend the $$ on the gear. The car is so easy to take apart I might go back and do it though once the weather warms up.

6. colmenedo

colmenedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

I have good project, but I have integrated the bluetood, navi, ipa also would affect the use of voice comand button? thank you very much.

GT-N7000 ?

7. colmenedo

colmenedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, the project is very good, but my prius has the package bluetood+navi+ipa beside incorporating the commands for voice in English. Do I see that it works navi in his without problems? As the bluetood and ipa in my case? Also does it him work commands for voice from the ink pad of the steering wheel? Serian of being grateful for a few videoes of the functioning since I am interested in this project to executing. Thank you. Pardon for my torn Englishman. Regards from Spain.

GT-N7000 ?