1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo Modification Success

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by arkboynko, Jun 23, 2008.

1. arkboynko

arkboynko New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All-

I've been lurking on this site for some time, and read a bunch of very helpful posts. Just wanted to contribute my stereo mod because I'm thrilled with the results.

I just bought a 2008 Prius - Touring #6 w upgraded JBL package.

Additional equipment:
    4 boxes of Hushmat sound dampener
    JL Audio CleanSweep
    Boston Acoustics GT-40 amplifier
    2 sets MTX TX6001 component speakers

I run the rear 2 channels from the JBL amp under the passenger seat to the CleanSweep. The CleanSweep then connects to the amp, which drives the component speakers.

I configured the CleanSweep with the head unit at volume 35.

I connected the center speaker to the left front tweeter speaker connect on the JBL amp.

I set the fade on the head unit to only output to the rear channel.

So now, bluetooth and navigation sound is the only audio heard through the center speaker. All other sources are tidied up by the cleansweep and sound great.

On the BA amp, i turned down the input sensitivity for the front channels to about halfway, and the back channels about 1/3 of the way. I also turned on the lowpass filter for the rear channels, so that the rear speakers could focus on bass and bring the soundstage forward in the car.

While the doors were open and I was wiring the new speakers, I installed the hushmat sound dampening material.

Pros:
    Great sound and LOUD
    Still can use Bluetooth phone
    Still can use Nav
    Still can use car audio commands
    Still can use built in AUX input in handrest
    Heavy doors and good sound isolation

Cons:
    Somewhat expensive
    Head unit volume should stay at 35, must use CS audio knob
    Could use a little more base... maybe install a sub?

Noah

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Clever solution. I've thought about using the center speaker for Bluetooth only, but didn't think about this option because I wanted to retain the fade function. So I ended up disconnecting the center speaker altogether.

Now that I have my sound stage set up just right, I rarely use Fade anymore. I just might experiment with this option to see if it'll make any difference for my BT sound.

As for bass, I already have a powered sub to take take care of the low end. You might want to check it out too. And thanks for the post.