1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo system issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stab244, Mar 31, 2024.

1. stab244

stab244 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

Been having this issue for the past couple years but it was really bad today so I'd thought I'd ask here as Google results didn't show something similar to my issue in a quick search.

2010 Prius with basic stereo and CD player. During the hotter summer days, the stereo might start off powered off when I start the car, but pressing the power button a couple times usually worked. After a bit, it might turn off mid ride, but again the power button would work still. I did not have any issues with the presets being reset like other posts that I saw, so while it's likely a bad solder joint, it didn't show that symptom. However, today, even though it isn't that hot out yet, I've had the stereo power off 5 times in my short drive (about 15 miles total). Once when I powered it back on, the audio would pipe through but the display wouldn't be powered on.

I suppose the easiest solution would be to take apart and check the joints and resolder any weaker looking ones. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well replace the unit as I'd like something with Android Auto/CarPlay built in. I know doing so will require more parts and time, but any thoughts on this as a solution would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you look on eBay for this generation 3 business you will see a couple of stereos that have a few different options that generally involve replacing that piece of plastic that surrounds your stereo It's made to fit right there some of them are a little bit larger screens so on and so forth You have to read all the hype in the ad to find out if everything on your steering wheel will work etc but I think most of it will generally speaking I haven't personally used any of these We can't get a generation 3 to run long enough to make it viable or worthwhile to work with the radio as the car won't go down the road or it does it's making so much racket on its own we're listening to that instead of the radio.