1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stereo Upgrade A Go-Go

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Actual Mileage, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This turned into a full on stereo upgrade - and I have included the pictures of the completed install.

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 10 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]300929[/snapback]</div>
    Aux port gives you only a way in for audio....no data....so you won't have any of the
    features (unique to your S50) available through the display.
    You will have all the control over volume etc (like any other source...AM/FM/CD) but you
    cannot control the track or see any of the data from the car's MFD.
    The SiriusPrius kit gives you all the control from the screen....like picking a station, etc.
    It is currently limited to 10 characters on the artist/title display however.
    Hope this helps.

3. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 10 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]301093[/snapback]</div>
    Yes - it helps greatly. Thanks for your answer.
    And since no good deed ever goes unpunished - here are a few more questions -
    (I will search through your posts to find as many of the answers as I can - but I really need to do a little work today).

1. Your "Integrated Sirius Satellite Radio" - is that the Factory Interactive product?
    Is it tremendous?
    ANSWERED

2. Who did the amp and subwoofer work for you?
    I have yet to find a shop that has worked on a Prius.

3. The local Tweeter suggested the JL Audio Clean Sweep product - which actually looks like a decent compromise. The stock head stays put as a pre-amp and you go from there.

4. Xtant 3300c Amplifier
    Diamond Audio M5 12" Subwoofer
    Diamond Audio D6 5.25" Components
    Diamond Audio M6 6.5" Components

These are new names to me - but I am more of a Crutchfield, 'big brand name' kind of sloth.
    Are these some of the better components available?

I hope you don't mind the questions - and allowing me to draft behind your hard work. :rolleyes:

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

5. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 11 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]301501[/snapback]</div>

I guess my main question at this point would be about the JL Clean Sweep as the starting point.

6. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 11 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]301502[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the confusing format of the last response post.
    To answer your question, the JL Cleansweep would definately be a nice way to
    make a presentable signal for a higher-end amp & speaker setup, although not
    totally necessary.....as I mentioned, I accomplished getting line level RCA signal
    from the factory head unit using a $29 line level converter from Crutchfield.
    Cleansweep is great if tinkering with the DSP is something important to you.
    My amp has a built in noise gate and balanged line module......those are fancy
    devices that prevent "turn-on thump" from the amp and help prevent pesky ground loop
    noise from getting into the signal. The cleansweep does the line balancing and also gives you
    a turn on lead for your amps........my amp is always on while the car is on....which hasen't
    proven to be a problem to date.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on how much money the Cleansweep will cost you compared to other
    components you want to put in the car. At any rate, it's not a mandatory piece to build a good system in your Prius.

Cheers,
    Matt

7. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 11 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]301913[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Matt.
    I was just out at an installer - he mentioned that Rockford made a line converter with built in EQs for all 4 speakers and the sub. And the amp is only on when the deck is on.
    One of his suggestions - which I need to research - was siting the speakers in kick panels in the driver and passenger foot wells. They are better pointed and the distance from your ears is optimized. He wasn't pushing it down my throat or anything - but he said I am better off with a basic coax sited there than 400.00 speakers in the door. I told him that staging and separation were important.
    He is looking into fabricating a high end Rockford sub into the little storage nodule in the back driver side - next to the lid for the spare.
    Then putting the amps on the storage tray.
    Talking a large chunk of change - so he is going to give my a couple different cost levels.
    I also want the integrated Sirius and might have him site that antenna on the roof through the dome light.
    Although - it sounds like the shark fin antenna results in a serious loss of signal.

8. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although I'm not directly familiar with the Rockford piece, sounds like it does what you're after.
    In some cars, the factory speaker locations up front are poorly engineered (either because of the resulting speaker axis aim, distance from the listener, or insufficient space for an upgraded speaker)....the kick panel
    pods the installer was referring to are designed to overcome that by creating a better spot with enough room for a full sized, aftermarket speaker. The Prius, however, is not one of those poorly engineered (for sound) cars.....about the worst thing they've got going accoustically is inadequate sound deadening.
    The factory speaker location in the door has enough room for a good set of 5.25" or 6.5" mid-bass drivers
    (with the proper spacer ring) and the factory tweeter locations in the pillars can easily accomodate aftermarket tweets. The imaging and sound stage possible (with the right equipment) I can tell you with certainty is very good......i.e. you don't need the kick panel pods.

Buy a nice set of 5.25" or 6.5" components, apply some sound deadening in the doors, fabricate trim rings out of MDF, and install your speakers.....might need to get creative with hot glue to get the tweeters seated.
    Feed those components with 50+ watts/channel RMS power from a good clean amp and I promise you won't be disappointed.....do the sub you're talking about...keep the signal crossed over so the sub's handling the very lows & the components the rest and you'll be even happier.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions...
    Cheers,
    Matt

9. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Matt.

Not fabricating pods would save me either a lot of time or money depending on who does the job. The more I look at the architecture of the car - the more I would love to put the drivers up on the dashboard. I hate doing too much non-reversible custom stuff - but that looks like a big hollow area up there. Just a couple air ducts - but I haven't popped it off to poke around. Any thoughts or experience with that idea?

The doors are very hollow sounding. Did you do all 4 - or just the fronts? Head liner? Trunk? I put an entire box of Dynamat into my Maxima - must be 40 pounds of the stuff. There goes 0.35 MPG.

I was assuming I would have a shop do the install - but if I only have to mess with the head to connect a line converter - it may be easier than the Maxima. Getting the power line in from the engine was a nightmare - no empty rivets - no nothing. Had to snake it up over the driver side front wheel well and to the battery. Royal pain - like days of trying to figure it out.

The battery in the Prius is right next to the amp site - stuffing doors is tedious and detailed - but swapping out drivers and putting tweeters in the front sail pieces is quick and fun. Love that part of the job.

I take it you did your install, correct? Hence the sweet, high end components. I was looking at the Focal w/ crossovers for the front and maybe just the co-axes in the back. Tweeter wants almost 1000 for the Focals I was looking at. Yikes.

Where did you fit the 12" sub? On the storage panel? Did you reinforce it? I will check your posts again.

Oh - one last thought - you are OK with just controlling the sound with the head unit? It sounds to me like the bass, treble and mids are all digitally intertwined - you boost bass and the trble and mids are also adjusted at the same time. I would love something that I just put data into and sound comes out - but going from Herbie Hancock at the Plugged Nickel to the Ramones to Springsteen's Nebraska - I am always tweating to fit the data. Using the JL or Fosgate would help - Alpine is coming out with a similar piece of equipment - they are all around 350.00

I appreciate your thoughts - you obviously have the real world experience with the car and its sound stage that I am lacking.

Terry

10. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 15 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]303632[/snapback]</div>

11. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Actual sliders are better.....no one likes navigating through menus to bump the mids a little."

I spent my entire time in the Nissan messing with the cross overs, playing with the EQ settings, tweaking the time correction for speakers and the sub. I wopuld love to shove in a disc and have instant gratification.

Where do you see putting the sub? Same little spot I am eyeing? It looks like it is halfway there already with that little plastic form. Why does everyone go for the passenger side spot?

12. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 15 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]303688[/snapback]</div>
    Passenger side is popular because it's pretty much dead space.
    It allows you to still open your storage tray, get to spare, etc.
    Driver's side cubby has that little compartment you could use if you wanted to....but it does offer the
    benefit of a little more air space.....the sub I'm considering can be happy in about 0.63 cubic feet.
    If I can get away with that and free up the space my current enclosure is sitting on, that'd be good.
    Keep in mind that the little recessed notches in the storage tray are there for you to put the tonneau cover
    when you're using the cargo space (back seats flipped down).....you may want to consider how hard you'll
    make it to get to the spare, etc. when figuring out where to put the sub enclosure.

13. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

14. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

15. justsoup

justsoup New Member

I had Jon (factory Interactive) install a Sirius radio in my 2006 Prius Package 9 two weeks ago. It works perfectly. Sound quality is excellent. The whole process took only 1 hour and 15 minutes. It was well worth the $100 extra to have him install the system. I would highly recommend using Factory Interactive for Sirius listeners. If you happen to live in the NoVA area, the installation was painless and quick.

16. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(justsoup @ Aug 16 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]304211[/snapback]</div>
    Dude -
    3 posts on 3 threads - all the same. Are they paying you?
    Because they should be.
    ;)

17. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 15 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]303672[/snapback]</div>

Had to buy it - $260 inc. shipping. Seller claims it is brandy-new - we will see. (Guess it could be - probably been sitting around somewhere for a couple years.)
    Does the head provide enough power for decent fill from the rears?

18. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 17 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]304730[/snapback]</div>
    That's an outstanding deal.....the rears are certainly a little under-driven by the whimpy output from the factory head unit, but they're really just for fill. I can adjust it somewhat using the fader. I've actually got an old 50wattx2 Sony amp I was considering putting in just to drive those rears, but it's just not that important.
    The giude I've attached to this post was the one I spoke of earlier.
    It's got great stuff for box building as well as amp install in the Prius. Credit goes to "eagle33199"

19. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Aug 17 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]304893[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Matt - I have already printed that baby out in color to bring along to wherever I get the work done. It is really a terrific piece - and has the bonus of the satellite install. I sent the eagle a PM thanking him for it.

I am waiting to see what my 3300C looks like. I have read that it has a 5 channel mode. The amp puts out an attenuated (amount of attenuation selectable with a switch from -0 to -8 dB) mono "rear-fill" signal. Did you upgrade the crossover?

But the other choice is to run grab a cheap 2 channel for the rears. There are plenty of coaxs and amps on eBay. The CDT speakers are supposed to be very sweet and breathy, esp. the tweeters. Guess I better see what kind of depth limitations there are in the front doors before I buy anything!

20. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 18 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]305267[/snapback]</div>
    I did upgrade my 3300c with the BLM-1 (balanced line module) but not the EQ. I've had mine set up in 5-channel before but didn't like the loss of Fader control, so I nixed the hookup to the rears. I've read other's posts singing the praises for the CDT's although I've never laid ears on them personally. I believe there was a post here on PC that gave the exact dimensions of the speaker openings in the Prius. Keep in mind that
    you have some wiggle room (depth-wise) by cutting a custom trim ring (mine are 3/4" thick MDF)....magnets
    of the Diamond 5.25' s clear easy.

I've included the .pdf of the 3300c owners manual...enjoy.
    Matt