1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stickers on Sun Visors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kbirdz, Apr 9, 2004.

1. kbirdz

kbirdz New Member

I just picked up my seaside #7 today (ordered 3/4 and picked up 4/9). Any suggestions on how to safely remove the stickers on the sun visors?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

i haven't tried danny's suggestion about using goof off (or was it goo gone) - i'm chicken.

i'd be very interested to know if you have any luck - the stickers are soooo damn ugly.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did a Google search on "removing Sunvisor Stickers" and found several methods mentioned. It seems that there are a lot of us that do not like them.
    The problem with the referenced link is that it talks about removing the stickers from Vinyl where our visors are covered with Alcantara. The Alcantara site has great instructions on how to clean their material but do not mention sticker residue.

I tend to agree with the heat method for removing them and plan to try the hair dryer method.
    I'll let you know the results.

5. siai

siai Junior Member

I was able to remove the stickers from my "Classic" with a heat gun. You can still see an impression in the fabic where they were but it did not damage the frabic. I was afraid to try to desolve the sticker for fear of damaging the visor. However, the stickers on my '04 have been alot tougher to remove. Seems to have better adhesive on them. I removed one but the glue is still on the visor and looks a little ugly. :cussing: You really should remove the visor so that you can work at the removal in a little eaiser position. I agree with others that the stickers are a distraction and tell you nothing that you shouldn't know anyway.

6. kbirdz

kbirdz New Member

I've tried heating the sticker with a hair dryer and using an iron over a damp cloth. I've gotten the sticker so hot I could barely touch it and haven't been able to even pry a corner loose. Whatever glue they use is strong. Any more suggestions? I'm reluctant to try to scratch down too deeply on a corner for fear of ruining the fabric. I can't even get an edge up to try to peel the sucker off.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the other hand, they are Federally mandated safety equipment. Is it legal to remove them? Other people might be driving the car someday. Would you have to re-apply them when you sell the car?

8. S5280ft

S5280ft New Member

Richard,
    Sorry if it seems like I am following you. The federal regulation is for vehicle manufacturers. You as a consumer can take off any warning label you wish (such as matress labels).

The question is the 'L' trilogy: Lawyers, liability, lawsuit from a future owner.

As to label adhesion. Typically we use hot stamping to put warning labels on sun visor so that the plastic of the label is fused into the fabric. The key words from the FMVSS 208 S4.5.1 (B) are "permanently affixed".

Sometimes a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) is used, but usually just for lower volume language translations.

Scott

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Instead of removing them, cover them with a photo or drawing, cut to size (5.9"x2.4" on my draftsman's decimal inch ruler) and fastened to the existing lable with removeable tape doubled over. Removeable tape insures that you won't damage the label underneath. Since the label can't be easliy removed, you don't want it damaged which would make it uglier than it is already. Frankly, I don't mind them, but I'm used to airplanes which have placards all over the cockpit.
    I'm a draftsman, so I did a parody warning sticker in AutoCad that looks like the original, but warns passengers that if all the airbags go off at once, you will be compressed into a space about 12inches by 20inches and ejected from the rear window. It also advises against eating in the front seat. To meet the bilingual aspect of the warning sticker, I copied the text onto a space immediately below then changed the font to "business math" which wrote the whole thing in Greek characters. I'm waiting to see how long it takes for anyone to notice it.
    Over the driver's side, I'm considering mounting a photo of HUMU HUMU NUKU NUKU APU'AA, the Triggerfish and laminating it with very thin layer, then taping it to the label. I'm too chicken to try and remove the label for fear of ruining the surface underneath or leaving a swath of partially removed label.
    Bob

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, indeed, it's excellent to get correct authoritative answers. Thanks!

Any future owner ought to have the benefit of the same informative warnings that we get. I'd argue that courtesy requires that they be left in place even though the law does not.

Besides, from your description they're impossible to remove without destroying at least the covering on the visor. Maybe there'll be a market for visor cozies.

11. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I just gotta go with Bob Allen's solution.

Think of the one liners and "faux warnings" you could dream up, such as:

'"DO NOT TOUCH VISORS WHILE VEHICLE IS POWERED UP UNLESS YOU ARE PROPERLY GROUNDED"

...and so on.

Bob