1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stiffening Plate or Strut Tower Brace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by freakadore, Aug 25, 2008.

1. freakadore

freakadore New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all,
    I've got an 08 and I'm just starting to mod my Prius. What should I get first, the stiffening plate or the tower brace? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not drive it for a while and see what you really need/want. I've never added anything to mine and I'm very happy with it.

3. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would throw away the OEM rubber. Then go get the chassis stiffening plate. In the case of a high speed avoidance maneuver in the wet it can make the difference between controlling your way through a problem and losing control.

Been there done that and been glad to have the edge. Emergency maneuver is the only time that you need the extra traction that both mods will give you.

I have the plate, and a set of Michelin's. You will lose some mileage for the first few thousand miles with the tires but once you learn to inflate to the maximum sidewall the mileage will come back.

As for the strut mod I have not done it yet. No comment there.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're interested in improving both the handling and the safety of the car, I would upgrade to wider and better all season tires first. But that'll set you back at least $400, and that's not what you asked about.

If you're interested in the most dramatic handling improvement (i.e., what you as a driver would probably notice the most), I think I would go with the Strut Tower Brace first.

Of the three handling related modifications I've made (TripleTreds 195/60/15, Stiffening Plate, Strut Tower Brace), the Strut Tower Brace was the one that produced a "Wow, what a difference" from me.

5. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The strut tower brace is a proven handling enhancement. Tires help too, but may hurt your mileage. Go with the strut first.

6. awai08

awai08 New Member

I've been in the same boat. So far, I've added the strut tower brace and do notice the benefits; the car feels more responsive when initiating turns and reacts more predictably. Also because the front tires' contact patch is more consistently maintained, braking is more predictable too. I'm very happy with the results.

BTW, I have the Tom's brace, which looks almost identical to and functions the same as the BT version. I also plan on putting on the braces Toms makes for the rear.

7. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine is a Touring Edition, and I have not replaced the OEM wider touring tires. I put the stiffening plate on first and noticed a definite improvement in handling. It is the cheaper modification and installation is quick and requires only 4 bolts to deal with.

The Strut brace has the most dramatic effect of the two, however, yet it's effect may have been intensified by the presence of the stiffening plate. Good luck!

Lee

8. cephas

cephas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    will do it soon.

9. thomatt12

thomatt12 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Adding a strut bar to your ride can really help improve your car's cornering ability. Plus it helps stiffen your ride's chassis. So I vote for it!

10. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I noticed the stiffening plate bolts on where the stock one is taken off. What's with the factory one, rubber?

The strut stiffener, is it a bolt on or do you have to do a mod?

11. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would not say rubber but the stock plate is very weak. You can literally take the stock plate and bend it!!

Our tower strut brace is a complete bolt-in with no modifications required.

12. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The wife referred to the Prius as Your car (Mine) when we bought it. Ya, right.

She puts on up to 200 miles a day for her job so it's been put to good use. Took it in for the second oil change to day. Been going just over 4K on each.

Looking at a few things before wet and cold weather sets in (Just recieved moldings waiting for mud flaps) and these two seem like easy good to do projects for handling.

Thanks

13. awai08

awai08 New Member

...Handling yes, but also the front strut brace is good for braking.

Since both mods increase predictability and limits of handling, safety during emergency stops and evasive maneuvers is increased too.

The strut brace doesn't require any major modification (except relocation of a small wrapped line attached to the passenger-side strut tower), but does involve taking off the parts that bolt above it (windshield wipers, plastic fairing, windshield wiper motor, and windshield wiper motor tray). There's a DIY step-by-step photo tutorial that another member has generously provided. If you're mechanically inclined, then you may just simply go for it.

The BT stiffener looks incredibly simple to install, though perhaps somebody else can chime in whether or not a lift or jackstand is required.