1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

still astounded by the amount of ignorance and misinformation by anti-hybrid/anti-Prius folks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cwerdna, Dec 6, 2008.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To go along w/that CNW junk science that refuses to die, I bet this guy got his info from the CNW junk science and other related "articles".

Worst Sales Performance of Any Car: Toyota Prius : TreeHugger

Good lord! :rolleyes: I posted a response but it hasn't been approved yet.

To top it off, I don't know where treehugger.com got their numbers from regarding the claim "Worst Sales Performance of Any Car: Toyota Prius".

There were other Toyota made vehicles that were off >48% vs. Nov 07 per http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Toyota-Reports-November-Sales/story.aspx?guid={C58FA65A-A1BA-4493-9223-376592D812C2} and a LOT more GM ones that did worse per http://media.corporate-ir.net/media...sales_production/Deliveries November 2008.pdf. If you count "light trucks" and monstrosities like the Hummer H2, there are even more.

2. toxicity

toxicity A/C Hog

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: still astounted by the amount of ignorance and misinformation by anti-hybrid/anti-Prius folks

This just in: human progress rapes the planet. Even if the Prius ate babies, it would be eating less babies.

I don't know why anyone picks on the batteries of the Prius. Somehow I think that, what with the batteries being recycled and put into new vehicles, that it is not any worse (if even bad at all) compared to any common household devices and their associated "disposable" alkaline batteries being tossed in the trash.

The "fuel" the Prius uses in its construction is electricity. We have so much electricity generation potential that it is ridiculous. Theres enough coal alone to power the whole planet for centuries, nevermind nuclear, or, if we have to, petroleum products. If we went all nuclear, and if we could somehow physically manifest electricity, we could have 100-ton dump trucks dumping it into a blackhole for centuries and STILL Have boatloads left.

Even all of that aside, you just have to look at whos ranting about the Prius in order to counter their arguments: if it is an extreme right-winger, just say, "At least we're getting other countries to use up THEIR fuel for our benefit." That usually shuts up even the most hardcore pickup-driving rednecks.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: still astounted by the amount of ignorance and misinformation by anti-hybrid/anti-Prius folks

We've got people who buy plastic bottles and aluminum cans by the pallet and throw them into the TRASH and they are picking on the Prius batteries.

Data Daedalus and lunabelgium like this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Or,

. . . . put another way:

[​IMG]

theshark likes this.
  5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Read the article. It rates "performance" strickly by total sales. This, of course, makes the article meaningless. Sort of like saying the best "performing" food a person could eat is a McDonald's hamburger.

6. peterbright

peterbright New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Amen!

7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

It's funny how that company with the worst performer in the market is running smoothly and making steady profits, while the company with that best seller is busy crawling around begging scraps like a sick old dog. Maybe I'm missing something here...

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Apparently Michael Doherty of "http://hybridreview.blogspot.com/" wrote a criticism of Lloyd Alter's article and is now linked. So I'm not sure spending much time with this article makes much sense. But I was intrigued by the domain name:I took a quick visit and left mostly confused. Mother Jones I understand and some of the other 'earth centered' magazines. But this web site has me scratching my head. I think it is because they seem to stitch together a lot of authors leaving a disjointed collection. ... Of course it could be me.

Bob Wilson

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

To surface an old thread... I saw more example of the ignorance by anti-Prius folks today while reading comments at Momentus XT Review: Seagate's Marriage Of The HDD And Flash Memory : Seagate

:rolleyes:

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

wow.. somebody's 10 years behind lol.

11. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Welcome to my world!
    I own a Prius, of course.
    But would you beleive I also own several Corvairs.

I have been plagued with a constant barrage of mis-information from people wherever I go for the last 32 years.
    Regularly the Corvair makes the top list of worse cars ever made.
    I have people tell me they thought Ralph Nader "outlawed" those cars.
    And mentioning the fact that Ralph Nader never held any political office and therefore could not pass any laws, is lost on them.
    People who are now self proclaimed expers because they knew someone who rolled one of them. (They really are hard to roll over)

So the self proclaimed experts are now attacking the Prius.
    nothing new under the sun..........just today's whipping post.

Ignorance is not limited to the Prius bashers, it is an epidemic!

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The specific criticism I've heard before. You all have. I guess what bothers me the most is actually this:

"I'm not sure why the hybrid is so sought after by Treehugger fans"

Really? First of all it's the a stereotype that's applied that I think is unfair. While a percentage of Prius owners do purchase Prius with a reported desire to be ecologically responsible, I've witnessed the reality is that is far from the only reason, and often not even the main reason, for a lot of people.

The creation of anything...any machine uses resources and it is correct that the creation of a New Prius cannot magically sidestep that reality.

But someone can't understand why The Prius would be popular with "Tree Hugger" fans?

Hmm...pretty short sighted to me. How dense do you have to be to realize that once created The Prius uses less fuel than any other commercially available vehicle? Furthermore it produces less emissions.

You can try to scuttle the ship with arguements about battery production, and eventual total vehicle disposal but it also seems to me that applies to all vehicles. Toyota does have a battery recycling program in place, and ALL CARS have components that are difficult to recycle. The Prius as a whole is ahead of the curve again in comparison to most regular vehicles.

I was not a big fan of the 2010 advertising campaign. Although it was well received and seemed liked by most. Part of me thinks when Toyota presents The Prius as this mythological entity...in an unreal enviroment, awakening nature in it's operation...it helps create an unreal expectation.

People who aren't Prius fans watch those commercials and think "Harmony between Man, Nature and Machine? Who are those smug bastards kidding? It's STILL a machine...." and to an extent they are correct.

However, it's not right to criticize The Prius for not being "Perfect" or not being magical...

It should be recognized for what it is. An Iconic Automobile, that has been sold world-wide in great numbers, that has employed unique design and technology to offer consumers a transportation choice that produces less emissions and uses less fuel. If in light of this reality if someone can't comprehend why this might appeal to "Tree Huggers" then I leave them to their chimera of poisonus Prius Batteries rotting in Terminator 3 like wastelands....

13. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

WRT Treehugger fans, remind them also that Toyota has patented a flower species, designed to help offset some of its production emissions, and plants them in Japan.

Not only does Prius have lower impact, but what impact it does have is further mitigated by such actions.

Amazingly short sighted, these TreeHuggers. :)

14. MuttleyHybrid

MuttleyHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If I decide to be buried in my Prius, then aren't I saving a tree from being cut down to make a coffin? Maybe the next gen Prius can have a "Decomposition per hour" screen, so I can check to see how my body decomposes should I get bored in the ground. Maybe I am just biased, but ever since I have been driving my 08 Prius, and it's been less than a week, I think people driving other cars are idiots ( 'cept for my wife of course, and my Mother, who has generously put me in her will.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Then adapting to the Prius's small gear shift was easy for you. It certainly was not to be found on the Corvair's I rode in when I looked in the "expected" places.

16. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yes, guess I'm so used to the Corvair after 30+ years, the short little shifter on the Prius is a natural for me.
    For those who do not know, the Corvair with an automatic has a short little shifter mounted to the right of the steering wheel, on the dash.

17. Solar1953

Solar1953 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Actually, i would much prefer to be a Tree-Hugger than a Beer-swilling, Humvee Driving, Football watching couch potato! I think I have discovered an indisputable fact - Idiots in the world tend to out number those with intelligence almost 10 to 1!

1 person likes this.
  18. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I'm still hoping (without any proof, mind you) that it's just that the idiots are louder. If I can't hold on to that, then I'm going to have to cling to hoping that the idiots won't be as capable of getting control of things, and it's harder for me to maintain that sort of hope.

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Another victim of unintended decomposition...We will dig you up and check the floormats..

20. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Just seems the last few years, more discussions are more like grade school fights:

"I hate you!"

"Why?"

{screws up his face} "BECAUSE!"​

Sad that we are grown boys and girls, yet many of us still behave this way. The internet and the increasingly polarized political banter is factoring.

The Prius is one of those lighting rods for anti-environmentalists, unions, people that hate Japanese cars, gearheads, luddites, people that think it's part of some vast left-wing conspiracy.

Those people are behaving like the hateful school yard brats shoving various agendas. Therapy would be good for a lot of them.

Really sad when something good comes out many people get bent out of shape.