1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

still cant get mine to start...noob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by donut132, Jun 8, 2008.

1. donut132

donut132 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok i just got my prius...and everyone tried to help me start it so i got some pictures. it was just hit in the back so shouldnt have messup the engine...i charged the 12v battery all night and it is full. i putting the key in pressing on the brake then pressing the power button. it beeps and all them lights come on.

Attached Files:

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just because it didn't hit the engine, doesn't mean the car didn't sense that there is damage done, and won't let you drive it like that. Take it to the dealer!

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Your boot up small battery you charged is working ok as it has booted up but the triangle on the dash means the multi function display has something to say to you and the MFD is showing the red "Take it to the dealer NOW" indicator :( which usually means hybrid battery pack or inverter failure.But just to be sure what does the volt level on the boot battery read when its in the dash lit up state.
    Then look at the back of the back seat where the hybrid pack is. Is it damaged from the accident? Then check all fuses in the car.There's alot in the black box under the hood and under the dash.Check them all carefully. Bet some are blown.BTW, I see 2 inverters on sale on eBay right now cheap! If you get her running OK I would still put the car up on a lift and check the underside really carefully. I assume you bought it with a salvage title?
    Oh and get a manual.Good luck!

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The photo of the rear of your car is interesting, but it is hard to evaluate the damage to the car from that photo. When you opened the hatch to charge the 12V battery, what damage exists inside? Were any wiring harnesses damaged?

The brake power supply is in a black box to the left of the 12V battery. Was that damaged?

The hybrid vehicle icon in the MFD is showing you that there is a problem with the hybrid system.

The fact that the gasoline gauge shows zero bars could mean that part of the problem is that you have no fuel. It also could mean that the 12V battery is not holding a charge, thus the combination meter ECU lost its memory about fuel level.

When you have the car IG-ON to show all these warning lights, what voltage do you measure at the 12V battery terminals using a digital multimeter?

The good news is that it looks like you have sufficient traction battery SOC given the six blue bars displayed.

Looks like you have sufficient problems so that it would be a good idea to leave your car on the trailer and transport it to the local Toyota dealer for diagnostic help.

5. donut132

donut132 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thank you for all yalls help... im going to take it to the dealership monday... i never been inside a working prius... i pretty good fixing cars but iv never seen anything like this car. cant wait to get it running see how it drives.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so.. you've never been in a working prius.

when powering on.. make sure you hold the break down while pushing the power button. *shrug* a just-in-case measure. simply hitting power doesn't doesn't turn the car "on".. just ign-on.

i'm surprised your Hybrid Battery State Of Charge ( SOC ) is so high.. normally with trying to start up and leaving the car "on".. it would drain it.

next time you recharge the 12v battery.. make sure it's not connected to the car... that seems to piss things off (been there.. done that)

I would check fuses... to me it seems like the hybrid system may work... *shrug* i've seen a blank display like that when i charged the 12v wrong... keep trying! if not .. take it to the dealer! hehe.. and good luck :) the prius isn't really like any other car when it comes to the hybrid-train.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For free technical info, you may be interested in reviewing the tech training documents available at AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAL ARTICLES

When you are ready for repair manual info, see techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.

I have an idea for you to try: if you can access the traction battery which requires you to first remove the folding hatch panel and the black plastic tray covering the spare tire, see what the orange interlock switch on the left side of the battery looks like.

Is the interlock even installed?

If it is installed, then check to see whether the lever is sticking out (horizontal), or is upright (vertical). It should be upright.

Even if the lever is upright it needs to be moved (either up or down, I forget which) to lock it in place.