1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

still contemplating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mainframe, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Mainframe

Mainframe New Member

its been a long time since i last posted here, when i was trying to decide between a Toyota YRX Yaris (i think we have better specs and options on the yaris here in australia than the american versions though) and the Prius.

in the end i went with the yaris as am 22 and it was my first ever car (late bloomer :p), and while i do like it - part of me is a little sorry i didnt just go for the better option even though it was double the cost and such.
    i was anxious about spending that much on a car (37-40 thousand aussie dollars) only to smash it because i wasnt a very experienced driver.

so now that ive been on the road for nearly a year and ive had no problems at all, i think before i have to register it again i will 'upgrade' to something that i feel will last me longer and suit me for the long term. my yaris is great for zipping around - but its a 2 door little hatchback and at the end of the day, doesnt have comfort or space in mind.

i am technology obsessed so aside from the style of the prius which i love, and all the gadgetry. ive just always loved the concept of a hybrid car. the best of both worlds, and im not all that concerned with the fuel milage and whatnot.

but i do have some questions - obviously which i will come to a conclusion on myself when it comes time to look around again and test drive, but id like some information.

torque/oomph/pulling power - i know the prius isnt a sports car, but does it have that exciting acceleration from stand still? my yaris tends to feel a bit sluggish when there are a few large adult passengers in it.
    ive read in reviews that the el;ectric motor assists with the prius' pulling power from standstill.
    i guess i just want a car that has a bit more guts than my little 1.5 litre auto yaris.

also, is the petrol engine relitively quiet when it kicks in? i mean i know it would be a big difference to pure silence of the electric one, but does it get loud when under a heavy load? my yaris is quiet when going at low speeds and slowly accelerating - but kick it into overdrive and it SCREAMS - which can get annoying.

just appreciate some feedback as to if you think its worth upgrading and if i will benefit from doing so

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 04 Prius. It's millenium silver. Package #9 (highest at that time).

The new Prius is a lot better quality.

I couldn't imagine owning a yaris.

I am interested in the Camry though. If you switch out the tires and rims (just like the prius), then it should handle much better. Want to push it on a test track? Disable VDIM. Same code as the prius. :ph34r: ;) ^_^

3. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Prius 4 months ago. At the time, one Toyota agency tried to persuade me to buy a Yaris because they did not have a licence to sell the Prius.
    I had a quick look and could see the Yaris was smaller, less well equipped and did not have anything the Prius did not. It was no contest.
    As for get-up-and-go, I think you will find compared to the Prius that the Yaris' get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went.
    Test drive the Prius and make up your own mind.
    Have fun and good luck.

4. Mainframe

Mainframe New Member

hmm thanks, ill have to see if i can afford to 'upgrade' at christmas.

the only thing that kinda bums me is that i cant get black interior on the crystal blue colour, and the silver has a warm tone to it in some lighting.

ill have to go and test drive one :)