1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still going strong. 2003 with replaced transaxle

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by orange4boy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Thought I would check in to say that our 2003 Prius is doing very well. We have covered a couple of long distance trips and a whole lot of local driving I think we have put on about 12 000 Km on it since the replacement and we are getting about 55 mpg right now.

We are not doing the deep cycle 12V system or pre-warming at the moment due to a lack of infrastructure. (can't easily get an extension cord to it where we are parking)

No issues at all except for a low capacity aftermarket 12V battery which we will replace before the winter kicks in. (knock cyber wood)

Loving it to death.

P.S. to bwilson4web: Thanks for the inverter/generator idea. We helped keep our friend's Chocolate store open during a power outage on Easter.

1 person likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might look at the ScanGauge thread. Users w2co and vincent1449p have 'cracked the code' and with a simple adapter, you can get just about every piece of HV and battery ECU data you can image. I'm waiting on a part before I start working on the engine and other ECUs but the ScanGauge is an excellent alternative to the Graham scanner:

• traction battery - in addition to minimum and maximum block, the Graham data, it can also survey every module-pair by voltage and internal resistance. We can also read out the Pcodes.
    • HV ECU - vincent may have cracked the sub-code that allows us to read out the P3125 subcode that identifies the specific area as well as the Pcodes.
    • mileage stuff - mostly built on the emissions data, the four element, display works perfectly fine.
    The only drawback is no data recording capability but I may have a fix for that soon enough.

BTW, I've swapped my tires:

• 195/70R14 front (Sumitomo T4) - I detect a little more resistance turning sometimes but the power steering is keeping up with the demand. The biggest savings comes from the number of streets posted at 40 mph (64 km/h.) These are probably the largest diameter that can be mounted front or rear and they are off by about 6%. So when the car thinks I'm going 40 mph, within the hybrid range, my true speed is just over 42 mph and I'm keeping up with traffic. However, the car sees this as being in the 'hybrid mode' speed range and will shut down the ICE when it can.
    • 175/70R14 rear (Sumitomo T4) - these are a little larger than the OEM 175/65R14 and have a higher load rating, more closely matching the extra load capacity. I was and remain happy with them and now I'm testing them against the largest. But they don't give that extra margin to allow 'hybrid mode' on a 40 mph street.
    Good to hear from you again!

Bob Wilson