1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still looking

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by migman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. migman

migman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi everyone,
    I am seriously considering a 2008 Prius and wanted to look through this forum to look through reality based experiences with the Prius. I am trying to do the math and compare the price and gas cost figuring on a 350 mile weekly driving schedule. I know it is not only about fuel economy, but it is a huge factor.
    I am trying to see what cold weather starts are like, whether or not dealers will negotiate on price, and any maintenance issues.

Thanks

2. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    probably the best thing to do is lurk in the main forum for a week or 2, most of those questions are routinely addressed.

i have 20k on mine - maintenance? i changed the oil a couple of times. dusted off the cabin air filter once or twice. check the tires occassionally.

every once in awhile i convince DD to wash it. thats it.

gas cost - i don't really try to maximize my mileage, i just get in it and go - i've averaged 48 mpg over the last 13 months.

hope this helps

p.s. welcome to the forum

3. migman

migman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks pewd, that is my plan.

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For 350 miles a week commute, you will pay a little over $20.00 for regular gas. The Prius is easy to maintain. Lots of information in this forum on tips and how to care for the Prius. I am closing in 5K and all I've done so far is to check my tires every 2 weeks and changed my oil and oil filter @ 2.5K. My next oil change will come after 5K...I am a DIY guy.

Have fun shopping for your new Prius.:cool:

5. migman

migman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am curious. I live in Wisconsin and I am wondering about all of the Block Heater info I see. How does the cold weather start up of a Prius differ from a standard engine. Will I need a block heater?

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, you won't need a block heater. The Prius starts just fine in cold weather. Those of us who use the block heater do so to improve fuel economy in the first few minutes of driving. The Prius wants to run its engine to warm itself and keep it warm, even if not needed for propulsion. The block heater allows it to reach full warmup more quickly so that it's more likely to shut down when your foot comes off the go-pedal.

EDIT: If anything, the Prius may start more easily than other cars in cold weather. You have what amounts to a huge starting battery and starter motor (actually, the hybrid battery and one of the electric motors), so it should never lack for power to get going in the coldest of weather.

Where cold climates may adversely affect the car is with the small 12V battery. There are reports of the 12V battery dying prematurely in colder climates. Though the 12V battery doesn't actually start the car, it still is essential for startup. It powers up the electronics so the hybrid battery and motor can do their thing.