1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still Losing Water

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Fortyniner, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Fortyniner

Fortyniner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been losing coolant for some time, although I have not seen any sign of a visible leak. Compression was 145-150 on all four which led me to not suspect the head gasket. I just replaced the water pump but am still losing it somewhere. I don't see anything unusual in the exhaust, but maybe I shouldn't believe my own eyes. Now I'm scratching my head. Can I still lose coolant through the head gasket with those compression numbers?

Would welcome any suggestions.

BTW, my "Prius" is actually a 2013 Lexus CT200h, which IMO still a Prius, just different packaging.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just take out your plugs and put it inspection camera up one and two and you'll see the droplets generally It's very common in this setup I have no idea why it seems that EGR gets blocked and maybe internal combustion temp goes up and smokes the gasket have no idea but it's a horrid setup but this is all happening after most people should be out of the car really it seems like 150 160 most people are generally out of technology like this pretty quickly generally speaking because things start to happen. It's not your dad's old Toyota where you just pegged three or 400,000 and that was it You can still drive more but you are getting a new car and the old Corolla went to your kid brother or whatever.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many miles on the car, and how long have you been losing coolant? How much coolant have you added, and how often are you adding it?

Does the high temperature warning light come on.

Does the engine run rough, or is it noisy after a cold startup?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The leak into the cylinder is slow and often seals itself in seconds during warmup. But there can be enough to foul a plug after the engine cools off and coolant pressure exists. Tom’s borescope test depends on coolant pressure on a cold engine using a quality dual view borescope. A clean piston is enough proof. Your symptoms alone on this engine is usually enough.

A compression test shows nothing on these engines. Normally a coolant combustion gas test will pass as well until the white smoke pours out the exhaust in an advanced stage hg failure. At that point it will rattle during engine on at stoplights regardless of engine temp. Then it’s guaranteed replacement engine time. The only step further is a broken rod and holes in the block.

Like this shock and awe late stage hg

W’s shock and awe did not work out so well 20 years later - Prius engines don’t like it either

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2’nd the miles question.

ever cleaned the EGR and intake?

6. Fortyniner

Fortyniner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    150K miles. Have added coolant every few weeks for the last five months or so. On one occasion, added two quarts, have noticed the temp light only once thus far. Separately, have been trying to address misfires by cleaning the intake manifold, EGR, and EGR cooler. That was a two-week project, but the EGR passages are clean now. While foraging under the hood today I found a loose hose connector and fixed it, will monitor for coolant loss. Unfortunately, the misfires are back in spite of my EGR cleaning project, but that is probably a separate thread candidate.

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The coolant leak into the cylinders fouls the plug and causes the misfire. The only time an egr can cause a misfire is at idle if the egr valve is stuck open and exhaust gas is easily flowing in at low rpm’s. Rare with the revised 2013 and up Toyota egr valves.

The easy way to dismiss the egr system prior to the parts cannon:

In this video he has a stuck egr valve and the misfires went away when he blocked the flow for testing. He prefers to replace the egr valve with the new revised version and the updated software load.

Watch until the end where he references the difference between a stuck open egr valve and a head gasket.

#7 rjparker, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Brian1954 likes this.
  8. Fortyniner

Fortyniner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. Fortyniner

Fortyniner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks rjparker for the several links. I've watched them all, along with a number of others while I get this crash course on Gen3 engines. It looks like my egr cleaning project was a little late and it's time for a head gasket. I did not find a single thread here devoted to a discussion of the several options to consider once one hits the "now I need a head gasket" wall. I do see a lot of discussion across many threads though, and my initial summary of it all is that swapping in a jdm engine probably offers the best value for the buck. If there are other opinions out there on that point I am willing to listen.

For now, I will head down the jdm path. I prefer to hire it done. If anyone has opinions on jdm suppliers and/or shops that could do the swap in the Oregon/Washington area, I'm all ears.

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Finding things on this forum takes time
    Clean everything still knock when pressing on gas pedal | Page 2 | PriusChat

If I revised the above I might add 1b “Used Gen4 engine as is into Gen3” but concerns are the same as any used engine plus changes needed in the cooling system, wiring and the use of gen3 egr, intake, controls and wiring harness. Not a lot of 100% great experiences reported here but quite a few overheat and persistent code issues.

#10 rjparker, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  11. Fortyniner

Fortyniner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks rj, that link is helpful.
    1b: Yes, I have pondered the Gen4 option. I see that some have done it with good success, but I also see that it may come with a few gotchas. And it begs a question in my mind: Why not do a whole-hearted Gen4 upgrade by getting one with a car wrapped around it?

In any case, I'm looking for shops in the Portland / Vancouver WA area who can help me with this, and for jdm suppliers.