1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

STILL NO Fix for Gas Fill-up Problem???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OZ132, Jun 19, 2009.

1. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My brand new Generation III 2010 went down to 3 Bars on the "Gas Gauge" and when I tried to fill the tank, the pump Pops Off after each half gallon I put in. Got it up to one bar less than full, only by "Forcing" it. What's up??? This is NOT acceptable.
    After 10 years, still no fix for the bladder problem??? Or is it just me?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is no bladder in the 2010 Prius. Period. Any filling problems are unrelated to the old bladder issue. Perhaps the title of this thread should be "New fill-up problem with 2010s".

Tom

3. psu77

psu77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had that happen in other cars. I'm not sure if it is the pump or air in my tank.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <SIGH>I would put together a picture essay of how to fill up the tank ... but it will take about two or three weeks before I need to go again.

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a just pump problem, nothing to do with Prius.

If you ever encounter one again (they have to routinely be replaced), take advantage of EV and finish filling at another.

6. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had this issue. It is possible that the underground tanks need to be "burped." Try another station. I highly recommend a Conoco Phillips station if one is available. (Disclosure: I am a shareholder). :D

7. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "It's Deja-vu----all over again."

Yogi Berra

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Huh?... What?...

But I thought the Gen II bladder-burp was a feature, not an issue.

:brick:

Uhh... er...

Yes, I'm awake. I was just "resting my eyes." :faint:

10. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If it happens at multiple pumps or stations, I'd have the dealer look at it.

I had a Chevy minivan that had a similar problem. Turned out that the tank had a "baffle" inside to prevent the fuel from sloshing around. It had broken loose, and was partially blocking the filler neck opening in the tank.

The dealer replaced the tank, and that fixed the problem.

11. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So there is no bladder anymore, but why is there a rubber "seal" at the filler neck still? This seal made sense to me if there was a bladder because I thought it kept the bladder from being air filled. But with no bladder this seal would allow air pressure to build up in the tank as it is being filled wouldn't it?

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The tank vents to the outside through a vapor recovery system. This keeps hydrocarbons out of the air while allowing pressure to equalize.

Tom

13. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Guess you're right. Only happened the one time. Last 3 tanks, no problem.
    I was too quick to criticize. Sorry!

14. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your problem is due to back pressure while filling the tank and an over sensitive pump nozzle. You gotta bear it out.

15. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. I was stupid. Much too quick to jump to conclusions. I embarassed my self. :(

16. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only ever had problems filling my 2006 once and it was a pump problem. Right from the start the pump would shut off immediately no matter how gently I squeezed the handle. I went inside and notified the attendant. She gave me instructions to pull the pump all the way back so it's just barely entering the tank filling nozzle and then slowly squeeze the handle and it should begin to pump just fine, then ease it back into the filler nozzle while pumping and it worked. Must have just been a buildup of pressure in the tank and an overly sensitive pump but by backing it out to where it was barely in at all then easing it in as it pumps it seemed to have released that pressure (at least that's my guess). Never had a problem before then, nor have I since then.

17. c4

c4 Active Member

I'm still running my 2001, but a 2010 is on the horizon, but on my 2001, I got so frustrated by the continual early shutoff from back pressure (and the militant environmentalists out there will hate me for this) that I got an X-acto knife and carefully cut the gasket out of the filler neck, and this completely eliminated the incidences of premature fuel filler shutoff. From the day I cut the gasket out, I've enjoyed easy, consistent fill-ups every single time, no matter the temperature, how empty or full the tank is- it fills up easily and stops when the tank is full.

It's easy to blame it on "defective" filler nozzles, but when such a large proportion of fillers have the same problem, I would venture that it's probably not the filler.. I was recently in Florida and rented a 2009 Prius there, and I only had to fill the car twice, but both times, at different service stations, including one that was just opened, with brand new pumps and fillers, I still had premature shutoff problems that I could only solve by pulling the nozzle out almost all the way..

To counter any "environmental" arguments: By pulling the nozzle almost all the way out to fill, you're basically creating an imperfect seal and letting out emissions as well, and you also run the risk that you could have a gas spill, even one drop of which would make moot any reduction of emissions from the gasket.. On the other hand, even if you cut the gasket out, you might get marginally more emissions than by pulling the nozzle out, but it's much safer and if you happen to live in a state where they use vapor recovery nozzles, the boot around the filler will capture the emissions, again making the gasket rather pointless, especially given the filling problems that it causes..

18. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OH MAN you gonna catch he!! now:D

19. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a slippery slope from cutting gaskets to tossing CFLs in the trash. :eek:

:p

20. ctomrun

ctomrun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just picked up my Gen III out of state and drove 173 home. So, I filled up at my local station. Had the pump on auto and it filled with no issue. I topped it off and only got 1.3 more in it. No problemo !!