1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still outshined by the Honda Insight !!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rangerdavid, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Met a guy at the vegetable market this afternoon driving a Honda Insight. Now there are many things I am still learning about my prius, and I've just gotten the hang of the P&G method which has helped me attain my best mileage yet. My last tank at 56 MPG here in the mountains was something I was really proud of.

But the Insight gentleman, who was a very nice guy, is getting 70 MPG up here !!! Dang, do the insights get that much better mileage?? well, apparently so... even though this guy stated that he "works at it", well so do I. I love my Prius and wouldn't trade it for anything. I even looked into the Insight when I was determining which Hybrid to Purchase, and I decided I needed a back seat.

Do Insight drivers pulse and glide also? I know Wayne won the hybrid challenge last year at the Hybridfest in an Insight I believe, but dang, 70 mpg in these mountains is very very good.

Anyway, just thought I post on a nice conversation with another "one of us" trying to do the right thing for himself, us, our mother earth as well as our country. Beautiful day to be driving around here in the mountains!! Hope everyone else is having a good weekend. Later. :D :D

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ask him how it does with 3 passengers and camping gear for a week for all of them?! ;-{)

3. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, the Insights unquestionably get better mileage, they're just not as practical: only two seats, no trunk to speak of, and no high-tech gagetry like the Prius.

I have a friend with an Insight who says he's never had to get anything but an oil change, and hasn't even had to change his brake pads because of the regenerative braking.

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dave, as a MPG machine the 5 speed Insight has no equal in a production car. But if you want to beat the Insight find some heavily congested urban (in the city) streets and you can take the prize. But don't tell Wayne Gerdes or the other guys at the Insight Marathon, I don't want to find an Insight outside my front door during my morning commute.

Wayne

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Delta Flyer makes an occasional appearance here. He's an Insight driver. Maybe he'll see this and respond. Otherwise, he's very active on both CleanMPG and GreenHybrid (as well as other Insight drivers).

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    RangerDavid, The Honda 2 seater hybrid can't pulse and glide like a Prius . . . that, among other goodies is the beauty of the prius ... which unlike the Insight, is still in production, with many more to come. As for 70mpg?

I spit on his 70mpg :D

This is actually my ongong best tank so far ... less than 90 miles to do 700 on ONE TANK ! ! !

Attached Files:

7. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    We test drove the Insight right after it came out. It was pitifully underpowered and noisy. I will only compromise so far to get good mileage, but for those who are happy with their Insights, more power to them.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Insight is over half a ton lighter than Prius. The extra energy has to come out from somewhere to move the extra 1,000 lbs around.

If we take your 56 mpg and his 70 mpg, Prius HSD moves 52 lbs (2890/56) per mpg while the Insight IMA moves 27 lbs (1887/70) per mpg.

You are clearly doing better than him, pound for pound. :D

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jun 9 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]458945[/snapback]</div>
    Yesterday an Insight got 78mpg to win the rally. When parked next to the Prius it's smaller size is obvious. As a two person commuter it is tough to beat but that changes once a pile of stuff needs to be transported. If it's any consolation, the other Insight brought up the rear.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

It was my friend's Insight which led me to the Prius. I'm not much for cars low to the ground, and his Insight rides very harshly. However, the Insight was truly the pioneer in the modern hybrid industry and deserves it's place in history. PS he very much likes his Insight, but when we go for drives in the country we always take my Prius, and he likes driving it tremendously. Oh, and since I 'just drive it' I get around 49MPG and when he drives my Prius he consistently gets around 52 MPG. Same car, 2 drivers, 2 results. I find this amazing.

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Jun 9 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]458945[/snapback]</div>
    Not in the same way as a Prius but with FAS or a injector kill switch it sure can. The Insight marathon used pulse and glide to get over 1500 miles on a tank.

Wayne

12. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Add a little perpective too... for fairness:

The basic Insight technology saw its first light in 1999.
    The current Prius II platform appeared in 2004 (roughly 5 years later).

A more appropriate comparison of the underlying technologies and FE potential would have to be made with its contemporary competitor, the Prius I.

Cheers;

MSantos

13. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used to own a Honda Insight before I got my Prius. It was a CVT Insight and still got better mileage than the Prius. But you have to remember the Insight is a much lighter vehicle and only carries two people. I like my Prius much better as it is more normal looking and it uses regular tires. The U.S. version of the Insight doesn't have a NAV option. Also the Insight aluminum body dents easier and is harder to repair.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last summer, I took a 40-mile round trip from I470 and I70 leaving Denver west to Idaho Springs and back - a little over 70mpg on my 2000 5-speed Insight. Was pleased that I could go the speed limit (unlike the 1988 CRX HF[essentially a non-hybrid Insight] I had - maxed at 50mph :( ) Still, it was not easy in this extreme mountain country - a gain of 1,500 feet overlooks the constant acents and decents. So the answer is mountains can be done, but it's going to be more work.

If a Prius is like a Mac, then an Insight is like a Linux computer. I look forward to getting more time in a Prius this summer. Again, the Insight is like a Linux in that extra discretionary power can help or hurt you. Specifically, it's using a manual transmission in a hybrid in the hands of the careless can deep drain the hybrid pack and shorten it's life. It's caused by those with a heavy foot that upshift too much too soon - approching the lugging zone. The solution is don't treat the Insight like a sports car - that's not what it was intended for.

Clearly the Prius is more marketable than the Insight, but it could benefit from it in a couple of ways. First, make the Prius lighter with materials less expensive than aluminum - advances are being made in high strength steel and carbon fibre. The other things is put more instrumentation in the dashboard - it seems they are doing that with the Camry hybrid.

I don't know what Honda will do next, and the Insight is a hard act to follow in fuel economy, so last week I ordered a MIMA kit - a manual override so the driver can control the Assist/Charging. (www.99mpg.com) Other users of this generally get 20% more fuel economy.