1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Still some good deals at the dealership for bulk oil filters

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TPP2k18, Mar 8, 2022.

1. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I was able to buy in Vancouver, Canada a box of 10 YZZN1 Oil Filters from a dealership for my 2018 Prius Prime, for $7.53 all in with taxes per filter. Very, very happy. Sorry if this isn't the place to share. But after seeing this filters cut open on Bobistheoilguy I just wanted to share if you don't mind sitting on for me a 5 year supply of filters. It isn't a bad price at all for OEM.

Regards, and thank you to all the kind folks that contribute and that I have read their helpful insights on various matters.

2. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    If you read my post you'd notice I was in Canada, those are Canadian dollars. Converted to USD. Those filters are $5.88 USD. We don't get much free shipping in Canada and certainly wouldn't from a USA based parts site.

So yes, a very good price. Considering 12% of my total is taxes. If you takes those off the filter pre tax is USD $5.18

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the OP bought 10 filters for $7.53... which would make $0.753 each ... but upon re-reading the comment, OP does say

"Canada a box of 10 YZZN1 Oil Filters from a dealership for my 2018 Prius Prime, for $7.53 all in with taxes per filter."

Humm...? Besides, 10 filters will be more than the lifetime supply for a 2018 PP.

5. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology

I do oil changes every six months. You'll never have me buy into yearly changes lol Just feels wrong.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Last time I bought, at Open Road Toyota in Port Moody, a single filter was $9.49, so yeah: significant saving. Change the oil every 6 months; engine will appreciate it and you’ll get through them faster. (y)

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Canadian manual say to do an oil change every 5000km/6mo? I know it's basically the same car, but the US manual and the Canada manual sometimes have a different maintenance schedule. As a US owner, all new Toyota vehicles are covered by free Toyota Care maintenance service by Toyota dealers for the first 25000 miles or 2.5 years (5 routine maintenance). I have not had to do any DIY maintenance other than tire swap on my three PPs so far. I don't plan to keep the car longer than 3 years.

8. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    AFAIK it says every 15000KM or year in the manual up here. We don't get the 2.5years of Toyota Care up here at all period. I got free oil changes for life on the car. But that only cover what the manual states. I do an extra oil change a year. Let me tell you I am never happy how tight they put on the oil filter. I bought bulk filters, because I am moving in a few months, and my free lifetime oil changes are only good at that dealership. So ya I'll be doing 2 a year now. I don't mind I really enjoy it to be honest with you. Love my Toyota a lot.

douglasjre likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am all for buying in bulk if saves money... but, I sometimes regret buying in bulk. As I said, I have not done any DIY oil changes on my PP, but for my first PP (2017 model with element type filter), I was thinking to start doing the oil and filter change DIY as it reached beyond the free Toyota Care milage. At that time I was planning to keep the car for a long time. I bought a bulk 10 filter from eBay for cheap... but I ended up trading in the car before I even had a chance to do my first DIY oil change on it. I still have unused fitlers somewhere. I would give them away for free, for those element filters can not be used on my current 2021 PP. They changed from element type to spin-on type in late 2017.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For third gen, in the Toyota Canada publication "Owner's Manual Supplement", it says 6 months or 8000 kms, whichever comes first.

For fourth gen, it says squat. Yeah. You have to go to the website to find out, and it's event-by-event, "real easy" to follow... Anyway, it says yearly or 16k kms, whichever comes first.

AFAIK all of the above are cut in half, for severe service.

Attached are my spreadsheet summaries:

Attached Files:

11. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Nice, ya I plan on keeping my 2018 as long as possible. Wish I had waited for the 2019 the lack of Apple car play is my only annoyance. Either way I don't put a lot of mileage on the care yet I will when I move. I am going to do the Transmission Fluid change at 50000KM and I am just about to break 36000KM.

Just have to find a pit to rent, or a lift. Hard to find, but I don't have the setup required to get my prius prime raised and fully level to do it properly at my place.

Hope I find a place to use by the time I hit 50000KM, or the dealership will be making a pretty penny off my poor self lol.

12. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but OP is in Canada. He is saying in Canada, the price he paid at the dealer is a bargain. This is probably true because when I buy an item on eBay from Canada, it always costs a lot more for shipping than buying from a US seller, so going the other way is also expensive.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone in Canada wants to try eBay seller on OEM Toyota YZZN1 Oil Filters, this seller is the least expensive currently. The case of 10 ships from the USA shipping free. It comes out to be CAD $6.69 or USD $5.20. But yeah, if you are buying only 1 or 2, then the best you can find on eBay is CAD$11.58 (free shipping).
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/115178163857?epid=28042462886&hash=item1ad1274e91:g:OqgAAOSw1uJhznIX

EDIT: apparently, the Free Shipping is only within the USA. For shipping to Canada plus import tax would be added for buyers in Canada.

#15 Salamander_King, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  16. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    When I click your link there, it says I am paying $11.28USD/$14.51CAD shipping, and $6.75USD import charges, for the filters. Probably only free shipping in the USA I would imagine.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, OK. You may be correct. I made sure to search for the item from eBay.ca (Canadian eBay site), not from eBay.com (US eBay site), but since my computer's IP address is in the USA, the pages on my computer may be showing the shipping within the US. Oh, well, I thought it was worth the try. I edited my comment above to reflect this finding.

18. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not a fan of OEM filter, they always feel lighter, maybe also smaller. This also apply to Honda's.
    I stocked enough the following when it's $3 something,

19. TPP2k18

TPP2k18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I use Toyota oem filters and oil. Have great results. And am going to be doing used oil analysis soon. Should be fun.

#19 TPP2k18, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022