1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stinger: Who buys them?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hill, Jul 15, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    $100 for a flashlight? Why do you have one?

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Leupold (the rifle scope people) sell a specialty flashlight for north of $200. I wonder what motivates their buyers to drop that kind of cash on a flashlight? I mean, yes, the flashlight has all manner of high-tech bits (sapphire glass crystal, water-resistant to something like 100 feet), variable power output, and, and, and. But still, $200?

3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You should check out the CandlePowerForums if you want to hear and see some real high priced flashlights and folks that are as fanatical about them as we are our vehicles.;)

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a Maintenance Transmission Engineer, the worst case scenario you can have, is you are in the middle of the sporting event you are broadcasting, and the Technical Director asks you to repatch something in the Production truck in the middle of the show. You just can not turn on the lights, and take your time, and make a wild guess. I NEED a good sturdy BRIGHT flashlight to illuminate the patchbay clearly, read the labeling and make the correct patches quickly, correctly, the first go!
    Another need, you are on a Sound Stage, a camera goes down, I have to fix it. You just can't stop the show, but the camera has to be fixed. I usually carry enough tools on my belt to fieldstrip a system, repair it, and put it back together in short order!

Thus a Surefire 9P for me. It may cost a bunch, but when it comes to the job, I do not use CRAPPY tools!!!

Ever assemble a Satellite uplink in pitch dark, and it has to be up and running in 2 hours? I have, and it would not have been possible without a good light!
    I always carry the Light, a Leatherman with all accessory bits, a 10MP Camera, and Cellphone.

I take my job very seriously, and I am quite good at it!
    A really good flashlight is just part of my job!!!

I also bought a backup, just in case I lose, or the primary light is stolen!

1 person likes this.
  5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    KK6PD, please accept this as a helpful comment, not a nitpick. I had to reread your post several times to understand it correctly. When you used "your" you meant "you're", which is the contraction of "you are". It's a very small difference in spelling, but it makes a world of difference in meaning.

Btw, I agree totally about using quality tools.

Tom

2 people like this.
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom you are correct ... My Bad .... Jeeze, and mom was an English Teacher ....oh well!
    Thinking and typing in the dark again:D

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Leave it to Tom, to shine his super expensive Stinger on your spelling.
    :p
    I say that only because when I'm typing fast, that's a common spelling faux pas for me.

I got a $30 LED china knock off from Harbor junk ( I mean Harbor freight) tools over 8 years ago, and I have an old 6 cel mag light (1990, garage sale) ... the kind that cops used to use to beat people with. Neither have ever died. For both of my "good" lights, I paid half the $100 price. All that to say, you don't REALLY have to spend that much. I know folks always will pay a lot ... whether it's a fishing pole, a flashlight, a car, or tennis shoes.

8. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To paraphrase "Its not a flashlight its a lifestyle!" :)

1 person likes this.
  9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind do they beat people with now? Have they upgraded to LED models for their beatings?

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Back in the day . . . . . . . .

[​IMG]

I don't think most departments let 'em buy these 10 pound foot n' a half long beaters any more ... it's too tempting to do more than shine a light on the suspects.
    ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a water resistant ray o vac, came with the ourchase of 6 D batteries. but my job takes place in the daylight.:D

12. jsmithy

jsmithy Hypermiler and Freedom Lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Surefires are bright, durable and expensive. They are able to repeatedly take the shock of weapon recoil when weapon mounted.

Some see the Prius as expensive for what it is. It's all about perspective.

1 person likes this.
  13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can get LED Maglites. I upgraded my old Maglite to an LED. I used it earlier today, but not to beat anyone.

Tom