1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stinky ventilation - Access?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Brooke K, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Brooke K

Brooke K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2010 Prius, purchased used but in excellent condition, has a stink in the ventilation system that smells like a dead, decaying rodent. There is no mildew, just earthy stench. I would like to know how to access the intake to the system (ventilation for AC and outside air to the passenger cabin). I'd like to look for an animal carcass, and then I will treat with Ozium sanitizer. Comments? Suggestions? Advice finding the intake access?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a dead mickey on your cabin air filter. it's behind the glovebox. just squeeze the arms in and the glovebox lowers enough to access the filter. instructions are in the manual.

3. Sierra Mark

Sierra Mark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    stop using the AC and see if the stink goes away.

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check the drain from the A/C coil compartment(do a search..many posts). It is probably plugged.

5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Once you do the above steps at least 3 minutes prior to turning off your car/air conditioner switch from recirculate to vent to allow the outside air in this helps with the a/c smells.