1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stock head unit problems with Infinity Reference 6x9 upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Seroquel, May 14, 2014.

1. Seroquel

Seroquel New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I decided to sign up and create this thread to see how the folks who decided to go with the Infinity Reference 9633 or 9632 speaker upgrade (with the "True 4 ohm" marketing) are doing after having them placed so many odd days/months/years. It appears that a number of Prius owners have gone this route, and given the intense discussion going on in the other thread, it may be good to see some real world experiences, albeit anecdotal at best.

Has anybody noticed any significant defects in the HU display such as artifacts, etc? Any overheating issues? Any degradation with the sound quality/distortion after prolonged high volume listening? Just any issues overall.

I was personally thinking of either going down the Reference path or the JBL GTO 938 path given its smaller mounting depth and tweeter protrusion with my Prius III and stock HU until I heard of the bad juju associated with mismatched impedances.

Everyone’s input is appreciated!

2. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed the 9633s a few months ago, so far no problems, just better sound.

Frank

3. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I replaced all 6 speakers, including the front doors with the 9632cf. I have a stock HU non-JBL system. Its been several months and I have noticed no problems.

- Paul