1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

stock "hybrid" speed record: 185.4 mph

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 20, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Volkswagen 2013 Jetta Hybrid sets speed record, gives new meaning to hypermiling -- Engadget

Anyone know the MPG at 185.4 mph?

Our 2003 and 2010 Prius get about 22 MPG at 100 mph. I would expect at 185.4 mph it would be something close to 6-7 MPG.

The reason for the quotes is the ratio of electric to engine power, 27/150 18%. The 27 hp electric power is enough for typical urban speeds. But like the GM belt-assisted hybrids and the poor performance of the Blue motion systems, I'm not expecting any record setting, urban mileage. Somehow, I get the impression VW doesn't understand fuel efficiency.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, no word of any Jetta hybrid here in Europe. Are they only for American market? They are targeting 45 MPG from EPA, we will wait and see.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would expect it to be around 4 mpg. If it was 22 mpg at 100, just drag would make it 6.5 mpg at 185. Engine should lose efficiency too at 185 as its a very small turbo. That configuration gets inefficient at high power levels.

The prius only offers 36 hp of assist which is limited by its battery. 27 hp is not much different than that. VW now owns porsche that understands hybrids. It does use a 7 speed transmission, which will hurt city mileage a little versus a eCvt like the prius has. It can go 84mph on electric power alone. It should be very efficient in 7th gear pulse glide:)

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll hunt around the 'usual suspect' car sites that report such things and see if I can add a comment asking 'What was its MPG at 185 mph?'

For good measure, send a note to VW and ask them if they know. <GRINS>

Dear VW,​

I have been disappointed with the poor mileage of my Prius at 100 mph and recently learned you new hybrid can do 185 mph. What mileage does it get at 185 mph?​

Bob Wilson

Sergiospl likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If you do the top-gear/Jeromy Clarkson trick, you run the battery down to make the car end up pulling nothing but battery dead weight - electric motor dead weight. Then he can laugh at even WORSE mpg then 6-7mpg. That's the kind of sad logic jeremy has.

Still. - you can do WAY way better than 7 miles per gallon in a very fast car. I give you the audi R8 EV:

Audi R8 e-tron becomes fastest electric vehicle around the Nurburgring - Top Speed

I'm gona guess that is still gets about 30 mpg e. while it's silently screamin around the race track - carbon free :)

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well before putting one car in the hand of a customer? What kind of a stunt was that?