1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

stock radio replacment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Piusmilitis, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Piusmilitis

Piusmilitis Junior Member

I just bought an 06 prius and love it. I had read alot of grips before buying the prius about the stock navigation and blue-tooth features and so I went with a prius without the toyota navigation and bluetooth. What I would like to do is replace the stock radio unit with a double-din nav/blue-tooth/radio all in one deal. I've seen quite a few that I like, but now that I have the car I am wondering how practical it is to replace the stock radio. It seems very integrated as fare as the steering wheel and touch screen controls. Is it possible to replace the factory head unit with an all in one system and still be able to use the radio controls built into the prius, or would those buttons become dead weight?

Also does anyone here have any recommendations on all in one units that might work better with the prius, or units I should steer clear of?

Also if the stock radio replacement is out of the question, has anyone tried modifying the space directly under the radio to hook up a nav/bluetooth/screen unit, and could it still be integrated into the car audio system with the stock radio system still hooked up?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips provided.

2. Piusmilitis

Hoping to order one soon so any input would be appreciated.

3. Piusmilitis

at the risk of having an entire thread of talking to myself.... I have been doing a bit of reading on this topic here. I originally posted this query because I didn't have much luck with the search button here on priuschat, so I tried google and every hit that helped went back to prius chat. Seems google is a better way to search PC then PC's own search is. But anyway.

From what I have read replacing the stock head unit for a third party unit pretty much insures losing all functionality through the MFD and, unless you add additional hardware the, the steering wheel controls also. I have though noticed that some people have installed extra screens/dvd units and they appear to have the stock radio in as well, although I haven't read any case where anyone specifically mentions having the stock radio functioning as well.

My new question: Is there a way to hook up a third party unit in the map box as I have seen some people here do, and have it go through the prius oem radio? I have seen mention of auxiliary audio being input into a slot intended for a CD changer in the oem radio. Does the 06 prius without the CD changer still come with this slot? And if I plug an aftermarket unit into it would it be selectable through the prius audio controls?

bisco likes this.
  4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you remove the stock radio you will have to add a resistor to fix the missing device in the cars network; if you don't the A/C won't work. There is a dash kit for the Prius, you may have to refinish it to make it look the way you want it. There is no practical way to make an aftermarket radio work with the touch screen though you can make any device with a video out work with the display only with a Costaletch Lockpick 3. PAC makes a steering wheel interface module that works with the Prius that will work with most aftermarket radios.

5. mheinle

mheinle New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is certainly possible to replace the stock radio in a Prius I have an 08 which I believe has the same unit and I replaced it with an Avic Z1. The catch is that you need to place a 8 Ohm resister on the line with the new stereo attached. Most aftermarkets will fit with a 7 inch LCD the height is the same as the stock so you do not loose the pocket below the unit and the width is less wide so you will need to make something to fill the gaps. The shop I took mine to cut some custom blocks of wood and sent them to an automotive paint shop and gave them a great glossy black look. You will loose steering controls but you can keep them by adding a few parts and peices. The audio shops should know how to do it.