1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stock Spare Tire?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jamesprius, Sep 1, 2023.

1. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is this the stock tire?

Was looking in here the other day to check the pressure.

Tried to screw the plate to hold the tire and it just fell through the hole in the middle.

If I use this side up, the trunk bottom seems to be uneven. I have to use the other side up because of the 3 or 4 pads on the backside of the spare tire cover lid. Then the valve is facing the bottom. That seems wrong.

Attached Files:

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is definitely wrong.
    But the vast majority of cars are designed that way.
    It pisses me off.

jamesprius likes this.
  3. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not stock. The OEM tire is yellow and has four 100mm spaced lugs.

[​IMG]

#3 ammdb, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    jamesprius likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes the factory spare will be that yellow color but it doesn't have to be You can get anyone in that size range like from another Toyota it could be black. I think the discussion here is the problem being you can't put air in the spare the way it sits in the car because it sits with the Schrader valve facing the trunk floor If this is a real issue to you and and you lose sleep over this all you need to do is get a fiber hose extension for a Schrader valve everybody makes them You screw it on and it gives you a flexible extension for the Schrader valve that'll stick through the wheel hole and sit right there in the trunk so now you whip open the trunk lift up the plastic tray you see the little black and red hose it has the extension of the shrader on it and you just pick up the fill valve and stick it right on that pssssst. Then you can check it with your gauge put your plastic tub back in and close the trunk I guess they figure if you're willing to open the hatch take the cover off take the tray out You're not going to mind flipping the spare over I mean that's the reality of it I think in Toyota's mind.

jamesprius likes this.
  5. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Had to go out and check the car, the valve is up on an OEM spare rim.

upload_2023-9-1_10-10-33.png

jamesprius likes this.
  6. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As others have noted, that's not a stock rim for the OE spare shown above. The OE spare is a "donut" temporary spare. What you have is a Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Extra-Load tire mounted on an after-market rim of some sort. The Potenza was the original tire on the Classics sold in the USA; it is no longer in production. Any good 175/65R14 tire will fit the Classic (it doesn't have to be extra load; that spec was manufacturer's overkill, like the vented 12v battery). One of the first things I did after purchasing my '02 was to change out the donut spare for a tire that matched the other four. I'm currently running General Altimax RT43 tires; these have been supplanted by the RT45 (with corresponding price increase). As for the rubber pads on the cover lid, just rip them off of there. The car will run just fine without them.

jamesprius likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes you can flip it over like that if you need to air it up that much maybe put some slime in it or something shouldn't be going down like that in the trunk but now you have no place in a generation 2 for what what goes in the center of the spare tire when it's flipped over some toolidge and the gold hole down on a generation 2 is gray and knurled plastic or at least it is in mine in the tire has to be the other way so if airing up and keeping constant check on it is a thing add the little red and black fiber shrader valve extender tube used to have them for bicycles and all remember the pump and that should keep you fixed up.

jamesprius likes this.
  8. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks guys.

I was mainly use the valve as guidance to understand which side goes up. Just found it strange when it wouldn't fit correctly with cover on either side. And why my trunk bottom was always uneven!

Spare size looks correct for the potenza 175 65 r14. Although for some reason the previous owner installed 185 65 r14 on all 4 of the existing tires.

Looking closer now there is a cut off hole in the lid so you fill it up w/o removing the lid I guess.

Attached Files:

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't realize this was a generation one complete different ball game I guess In the two I know it goes upside down I can't remember in the three we don't carry a spare in that car

10. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah was a bit confused by your previous post. This is the the gen 1 "subforum" btw.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah but in the list of posts in the whole Prius chat it doesn't discern gen 1 2 and or three I have to scroll to the top of the post to see what it's posted in I guess I didn't think I even had Jen one stuff showing up in here in my list but apparently I do so I guess y'alls spare is the real early style they're flipped over upright the correct way up and then the little gold thing goes in the middle and I don't know what happens with your jack and love ranch and all of that doesn't really matter but in the generation two it all goes in the spare tire upside down I guess the original Prius is more like a Corolla car I think that's how my corolla's mount with that same exact gold piece actually I have a bunch of them laying around here I don't generally carry spares in the Corollas at all