1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stock Tires....22k and worn!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bshef, Apr 17, 2007.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've rotated these 2 times in 22k miles.
    The edges are totally bald.
    Can't believe I'm ready for new tires already.

:blink:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ours reached downright dangerous at 28k. i was beyond displeased.

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 17 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]424754[/snapback]</div>
    Classic sign of under-inflation.

I kept mine higher than the door-sill recommendations and they lasted just fine with even tread wear to 40K with some tread left. Could have theoretically made it to the rated 50K before hitting the wear bars, but they aren't the best foul-weather tires to begin with and all tires get worse in rain/snow as the tread gets shallower, so I replaced them before this winter.

4. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 17 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]424804[/snapback]</div>
    no.....I've maintained the 42/40 psi recommended here on our boards ........
    Maybe misaligned?

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tire pressure or alignment? I am over 36,000 on the OEMs and they look about 1/2 worn, and very even all across. I rotate about 10,000 miles (every other oil change), and run about 40/38 T.P. Never had it aligned. I don't see any diffference in Prius tire wear from my other cars. My Impreza has over 75K on Goodyear Eagles, including about 20-25 autocrosses, and my wife's Outback is looking at 69,000 on the Costco Micheleins. I expect similar mileage out of the OEM Prius Goodyears. I hear a lot of whining, but it doesn't seem to apply to my car. Your mileage may vary.....

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bald Edges even on both sides (of the same tire) generally mean under-inflation.

Bald Center generally means over-inflation.

Bald Edge (or cupping) on one side of a tire generally means alignment.

7. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 17 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]424754[/snapback]</div>
    See you're from "spamming the globe". Maybe you deserve abnormal wear.

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 17 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]424804[/snapback]</div>
    But I don't buy this. Take a close look at new Integrty tires. The grooves between the edge blocks are only about half as deep as the center grooves that go around the circumference of the tire. If the tires wore perfectly evenly across the whole tread, then the edges would go bald first while there is still a good eighth inch or more of depth in the center grooves. I would say that those who achieve "even" tread wear in which the tread depth between the center grooves and the edge grooves is the same after 30K+ miles, are in fact causing the center of the tire to wear faster than the edge.

I know the wrath of PriusChat is about to fall on me, but seriously, go take a close look at tread in brand new Integrity tires. The grooves on the edges are not nearly as deep as the grooves in the middle. The edges should go bald first because the grooves aren't as deep there.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    alignment and inflation were NOT issues with my car either. i kept the tires at 42/40 checked every other week, and DH checked alignment at every oil change as well as before every major trip. it was always kept at 0 degrees toe.

the edges were flat-out gone.

trust me, if we didn't have to spend the money on new tires, we wouldn't have.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Even before I got my Prius in 2005, it seemed to me that one of the most common complaints was about the tires (and how quickly they wore).

I kept mine inflated at 42/40 and they needed to be replaced at about 30K. When I got them replaced, they needed alignment.

11. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hell...I'm afraid to kick my tires! My foot might go right through them!

so ...No-one's gotten Toyota to replace these at their cost? Sigh!

12. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 17 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]424899[/snapback]</div>

Whats the warranty on the tires ?

-

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    46,200kms on them.. they're getting down fairly quickly, albeit not as quickly as yours. The edges are already worn.

14. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now at 18,000 miles / alignment checked twice (once at 5K, then at 12K) / rotated every 5K / pressure maintained at 42 / 40 pretty accurately. Most of driving on freeway (70% +)

Outer edges wearing out faster than rest of tire. My best guess is that we will replace all 4 tires at 25 to 35 thousand miles.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Apr 30 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]432476[/snapback]</div>
    I replaced mine at eight thousand miles. I should have replaced them at eight miles. The OEM tires are junk, and the sooner you get rid of them, the happier and safer you will be.

Tom

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 30 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]432481[/snapback]</div>
    Many seem to share the sentiment that the faster the OEM tires wear out and can be replaced with higher quality tires (essentially, any other tires), the better.

Mine are approaching 23k and still have decent tread, but I think I'm going to go for the Costco Michelin X-Radial upgrade soon.

17. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine were gone at 20k. Wear was okay until I got the BT plate and then started taking all the corners fast which quickly wore the outside edge of the tire.

18. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently replaced mine at 29,000 miles. They probably could have gone another 2 or 3 thousand miles, but one had a flat and the significant, but somewhat less mechanically inclined, other rode on the rim far enough to make the tire irreparable. So I decided to replace all four and be done with it. I wasn't very fond of the original tires in the first place.

I kept them well inflated, and they were rotated every 5,000 miles.

I replaced them with Pirelli P3000's, and now I'm much happier. The ride and handling feels much more firm and connected now. (Hopefully none of the BT plate smashing folk come over here and tell me I can't prove that the car handles better!)

I did notice a drop of about 3 mpg when I put the tires on. I figured it was the characteristic rolling resistance of that tire design, and I was stuck with the drop. However since then, about 3,000 miles later, that mileage drop has been partly or completely recovered. I remember that when I first got the car the mileage was in the very low 40's for a few thousand miles, and then went up to a relatively stable 46 mpg. At the time I had read, and it sounded plausible, that is was the rings in the ICE seating. Now I wonder if it was just the tires.

19. jenayroux

jenayroux New Member

I changed mine out within 4 months of purchase - I knew the stock tires could NOT be trusted... I bit the bullet and purchased Michellin... I'm at 40M mi right now - I'll be changing out again in another 10M mi. Pay now/pay later... I can't afford to take a chance on cheap tires. Good luck.

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jenayroux @ Apr 30 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]432885[/snapback]</div>
    I'm guessing by 40M mi, you really mean 40k mi.

Anyway, I have 47k miles on my car right now, but have had snow tires on for two winters of that. I drove mid-August to Nov. 1 after I got the car and put on snow tires until April 1, etc. I'm doing more driving in the summer months than in the winter, but not a lot. So I'm guessing I have about 25k on the Integrities. The edges have been bald for a long time. In spite of that, the Les Schwab dealer said the tires should be good until late in the summer. I'm starting to have doubts about that. Even the middle of the tires don't look like they have a great deal of tread on them. I'll probably get new Michelin tires at the beginning of the summer. I still have to decide on the model of tire.

Dave M.