1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stock tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by iaowings, Jun 14, 2007.

1. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Im wondering anyone know how many miles the stock tires on the Prius are good for.
    Also when do I need to rotate them?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Jun 14 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]461695[/snapback]</div>
    I got over 30k on my first set and rotated them every 5k just like the owners manual suggests.

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jun 14 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]461716[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes: I guess I could have opened the manual but then im lazy :p .
    thanks for the reply. :D

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Jun 14 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]461695[/snapback]</div>
    I have over 35,000 on my original Goodyears. Appear to be less than 1/2 worn. I don't have the negative feelings that many other OEM tire haters on this site have, and expect to get at least 65-70K out of them. My driving is 99% freeway, mostly in dry LA. I'm lazy and rotate every other oil change (10K miles).

5. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Thanks for the info. I haven’t had any problems with my stock tires and want to use them up before just throwing them away. The reason I asked is that I have 12k on mine and will be driving coast to coast soon and was thinking maybe they need replacing but if they last as long as 40k+ then I think im good for this trip.

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

In my car, 40,000 miles.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe I changed mine at 40,000 miles, but that's because I was going to start on a cross-country trip and I didn't want to get bald tires in the middle of it!

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If only I would have known at the time . . .

The original tires are only "good" for driving the car from the dealer's lot to the nearest Goodyear store to exchange the tires for a better set. :eek:

Seriously, if I would have known this could be done, I would have. (I'm not sure Goodyear still does the 'exchange as new' program)

I now know we suffered through about 30,000 bad miles on the original tires before replacing them with some Michelin X tires.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've had them rotated every 5K miles, but at 30K I was told I need new ones. I looked and they were ready to go.

I've seen other posters that have said the OEM tires don't last very long.

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I changed them at 40K. According to the "Wear Bars" I could have made 50K easy, but I like to keep a bit more tread than that.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we were planning to run them to at least 30k, but they felt more and more unsafe and started to show crappy traction on wet roads around 28k. so we bit the bullet and replaced them. i'm glad we did! DH took damn good care of those tires too...

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    50,000kms on them and dealer says 50% life left. I do not know if I trust them cause the edges of the front tyres (now in the rear) are worn.

13. huntergirlnc

huntergirlnc New Member

I just replaced mine at 27K. The back tires were okay, but the front were down to their last legs. I bought the car used with 21K miles so I don't know if the previous owner had rotated regularly or not but even at 21K they looked like crap (which made for a good price negotiation point when I bought the car :) ). I got a set of Michelin Hydroedge from Sam's Club and have had them on 3 days. MPG has dropped just a tiny bit and they are a little noisier, but I could tell a difference in handling immediately. BIG improvement with the new shoes on :)

14. ecprius

ecprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I replaced mine at 50K miles, but probably should have replaced them at 40K or so.
    The edges of the tires were worn quite a bit.
    After an alignment and 23K miles on Michelin Hydroedges, the tires still look like new.
    - Ed

15. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    almost 63,699 miles with rotations at between 5k and 10k.

16. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a close friend who is a tire engineer for Goodyear and actually worked on the team that designed the OEM Integrity tires for the Prius. Toyota has very strict specs on the tires, so Goodyear was fairly limited in what they could do with the tire. Also, Toyota's specs favor fuel economy over handling, so that may be why so many people seem to dislike this tire.

My friend said the OEM tires were OK, but that he definitely would not recommend replacing them with the same model. His recommendation was the Assurance ComforTred.

In terms of how long they will last, the treadwear rating for the Integrity's is 460. By comparison, the treadwear rating on the ComforTred is 700 and they come with an 80,000 mile warranty. For reference, the rating is based on a percentage in projected wear life. So a tire rated at 400, projected twice as far as a tire rated at 200.