1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stoopid question about gas tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by europhile, Nov 9, 2006.

1. europhile

europhile New Member

OK -- so I am confused. I have had my little 2005 Prius for a few months by now, but this hasn't happened yet. I went down from two blocks on the fuel gauge to a blinking block in a very short period of time (maybe 30 miles at most), and don't want to get stuck on my way home tonight (just 7.5 miles to go). On this tank, I averaged about 42 MPG, and I currently am at 370 miles total. Will I and the baby make it home (and to gas station) -- again, it's only 7.5 miles or so? If I do the math, then I should be able to go about 420 miles on this tank (10 x 42), conservatively.

Thoughts and experiences with the blinking gas gauge?

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Different people have had different experiences with the blinking pip. Some have gone 50 miles, some have gone 5.

I'd say if there's a gas station near where you are now, go as soon as you can. No sense pushing it.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too recommend getting gas now. I have not run out (in the Prius) but some of the posts here lead me to believe it can be a pain. I usually start looking for a gas station when I get down to two bars and never wait for the "blink".

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B) I agree with the previous posts... It doesn't make sense to "push the issue" on running out of fuel.

I always fill on the last "non-blinking" pip. Sometimes, I fill on two pips... when the price is right and it's convenient. There's too much risk running a Prius out of fuel.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(europhile @ Nov 9 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]346368[/snapback]</div>
    10 has always been a bad idea (especially when it is dangerously cold out). But since that makes the math so easy, it's basically a hopeless battle.

9 is a more appropriate factor for a mileage guage, especially when dealing with differences from bladder and the gas station pump. So this indicates the furthest for non-emergency travel:

40 MPG = 360 miles
    41 MPG = 369 miles
    42 MPG = 378 miles
    43 MPG = 387 miles
    44 MPG = 396 miles
    45 MPG = 405 miles
    46 MPG = 414 miles
    47 MPG = 423 miles
    48 MPG = 432 miles
    49 MPG = 441 miles
    50 MPG = 450 miles
    51 MPG = 459 miles
    52 MPG = 468 miles
    53 MPG = 477 miles
    54 MPG = 486 miles
    55 MPG = 495 miles

Clearly, you are well beyond the threshold. In other words, fill up as soon as distance is exceeded or blinking begins… whichever comes first.

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually wait until the last pip starts blinking and then get gas within the next 20 miles or so. I've never run out....yet. Other folks have had problems doing this as it seems the guage accuracy varies from car to car (or maybe it's because I live in a pretty temperate environment).

You're assuming the tank was full when you last got gas. Due to the vagracies of the bladder that's not always the case. You should probably gas up as soon as possible.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(europhile @ Nov 9 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]346368[/snapback]</div>
    Because of the variation of the bladder, the car is usually right. i.e. it doesn't matter how much fuel you really have left in the tank, if the car says "ADD FUEL," do it asap since it's telling you that it will "run" out of fuel soon (even though you have x litres/gallons left in the tank... it's just the way the computer works)

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 9 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]346560[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, why take a chance? Just buy some gas man......... :D :D

9. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had my best tank yesterday. MFD said 50.6 mpg, and I went 494 miles before filling up. I went 8 miles with the last pip blinking, before I blinked (figuratively). I think I got 10.1 gallons in, but I must have overridden the fuel shutoff on the pump 10 times to squeeze some extra in (probably an extra 1/2 gal there). In my case I think a blinking pip means perhaps 1/2 to 1 gallon left. I might try going a little further on the blinking pip next time...

10. chimohio

chimohio New Member

If you wait till it's blinky it may end up stinky. I just didn't feel comfortable the one time I got into blinky mode. In my other cars, I always filled up at 1/4 tank - why do things different now.