1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stop Light Switch Recall

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tickwood, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is there a recall on the stop light switch in the US? Has anyone gotten a notice?

2. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I got the notice last week. It is SSC 40L. I have not had a chance to follow up.

3. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Call your dealer. I had mine done last week. It only took them approx. 45 minutes.

Ben

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't get a letter yet, but had mine done last week as well..at the same time I got the SSC 40J Nav DVD.

5. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is a stop light switch? Should I expect this to be needed on my '05?

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never get letters... they don't like me. So, i called them.. and we argued.. they called me back and said yep.. you quality for two.. nav update and break. Almost tempted with the whole "told you so" comment.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a brake light switch, and it depends on when your '05 was built I think....I believe some '05s are affected...if you are you'll get a letter.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn\";p=\"58696)</div>
    it's the switch that turns on the brake lights, located under the dash on the structure that the brake pedal pivots off.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Apparently, not all 04's were affected. My 04', mfd in August, did not qualify based on VIN.

Checked this both by the SSC, and running my car VIN through TIS. Only thing that came up was SSC 40J, which is the NAV, which I will wait until March for.

10. Frank Hudon

I would think that this swithch recall and the date's of manufacture are probably due to one of several suppliers having a problem and Toyota knows which switch made which production schedule. So Toyota is trying only to recall the cars that recieved those switches. Most company's do this, source parts from several suppliers.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it me or does it seem that Toyota's having more issues recently w/ the quality of components from it's suppliers?

12. pafoss

pafoss Plug-in Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    efusco,

I have 2 questions for you. In your signature it says solar 12v charger. Is this something you have hooked up to the HSD main battery that slowly charges it up? Is this thing attached to your roof? How does it work? Any pictures? Cost?

Second question: You mention you just got the Nav DVD upgrade. How much was that and do you like it? Do you feel it was worth the upgrade? I'm tempted to go and get it but have not read anyone's reviews of it yet.

Cheers,
    Powers.

13. Frank Hudon

I agree with you on that issue Rick and I think it's the jump in production to cover the shortage that is partly to blame. Before the "push" very few quality issues were apparent. But since we're starting to see it occuring more and more. But still nothing like some other manufacture are experiencing. Mitzy as an example.

14. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my letter today. The annoying part is that I had the car in on Tuesday for the 10,000 mile service and navigator upgrade. I guess I get to go back again next week. At least I'm off for the holidays. One of the advantages of being a teacher.

15. Frank Hudon

phone first and see if the part is in stock at your dealer. No sense a wasted trip to only find out there is no switch avaliable.

16. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"59768)</div>
    Thanks Frank. Based on past experience, they won't have the part in stock. It seems they have to order everything for the Prius. It's not exactly a Camry that they service hundreds of. I know they service other Prius, but it still seems kind of new to them.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sooo some '04's dont need this switch?

i am familiar with the symptoms and have none as of yet and i did have the car through the hottest summer here that i can remember.

anyone have any guidelines on what VINs or months on the '04's were included or excluded?