1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

STOP TALKING AND DRIVE!! Another wrecked Prius tale

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Actual Mileage, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't you hate those people on cell phones and their terrible driving?

THAT IS ME! I am such an idiot. :frusty:

Had to drive to NYC from Maine (where I live now - always be a NYer).

Just got onto the FDR off the Triboro bridge - stop and go traffic - the wife calls - trying to get her off the phone since I did not have the hands free cord connected - look at my Blackberry for a nano second to find the button - BOOM - I rear end a Camry.

Now the little silver car that wouldn't hurt a fly is trapped in a body shop on the Upper East Side and I am driving a Vibe (which gets 27 MPG).

Will it ever be the same? I was getting less than 40 MPG any way - maybe it will be even better. How do I make it up to the little silver car?

BTW - the cops took 45 minutes to show up (several flew right past) and then all they did was tell us to move the cars out of the way and then took off. Guess there is no such thing as a police report in NYC.

DUMB AS A ROCK, I AM.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, we all learn from experience. Some of us from others' experiences, and some of us from our own. At least nobody got hurt, and the car will be repaired.

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No bluetooth?

4. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You're lucky the cops didn't stick around. It's illegal to talk on a cell phone without handsfree device while you're driving in NY.

How much damage was there?

5. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry to hear about the accident. I assume everyone was ok?

Stop talking and drive. ;) And maybe a nice waxing on the weekend.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the body shop is good, the car will be as good as new. It's a car, not a puppy! Hope the other driver is not too pissed. I presume their car is in a body shop also, and they did nothing wrong. But you've learned your lesson.

My advice: turn the phone off while you're driving unless there's someone else in the car to answer it. Otherwise, just don't answer the phone. They'll leave a message if it's important. And if you really want to, you can find a place to get off the freeway, park, and then call back.

My phone is off while I'm driving. Nothing is important enough to answer the phone for when I'm in the car.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, live and learn. I've rear-ended a couple cars. They were minor, thankfully. It sucks.

I have a bluetooth car but not a bluetooth phone. When I don't feel like holding the phone to my ear I use the speaker phone function.

I hope you get your car back soon. Good luck with that Vibe.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 problems, 1 you already acknowledge, the phone.
    I leave my phone on in the car but I also have a cheap bluetooth device on my sunvisor. If the bluetooth is off I won't answer, it will go to message bank. If the bluetooth is on I answer the phone,
    "Hello, Pat here, I am in my car driving using hands free." While I say this I look for a place to stop. If I need to stop I tell the person I am talking to, "Please wait while I find a place to stop."

Second problem is you were too close to the car in front. If you are 2 full seconds behind the car in front you would have time to glance at the phone and back to the road and react. By maintaining you safe following distance you will also get better mileage. Don't worry about someone cutting in front, just open the gap back up to 2 seconds. Don't worry, they will soon change lanes again.

Is it a requirement you report the accident to the Police? Police only need to attend an accident here if someone is hurt or cars need towing. Even if the car needs towing they may just send a tow truck. Did you ring the police to come?

I trust everyone is OK?

To recap, no need to hold a phone while driving and 2 second gap for safe economical driving.
    Take care.

9. PrematurelyGray

PrematurelyGray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you think that hands-free devices are truly better?

A lot of research has been conducted on hands-free device use while driving and it's NOT FAVORABLE.

Here's an excerpt from Carnegie Mellon University announcing a study to be published in an upcoming journal issue:

"Carnegie Mellon University scientists have shown that just listening to a cell phone while driving is a significant distraction, and it causes drivers to commit some of the same types of driving errors that can occur under the influence of alcohol. The use of cell phones, including dialing and texting, has long been a safety concern for drivers. But the Carnegie Mellon study, for the first time, used brain imaging to document that listening alone reduces by 37 percent the amount of brain activity associated with driving. This can cause drivers to weave out of their lane, based on the performance of subjects using a driving simulator..."

Press Release link: March 5: Carnegie Mellon Study Shows Just Listening To Cell Phones Significantly Impairs Drivers - Carnegie Mellon University

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is marginally better, that is why when recieving a call via blue tooth I often say,
    If a call is a simple, "pick up a loaf of bread on your way home please." no problem, if I'm asked to actually think I pull over.

Good drivers, just drive.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm, well in this case... ya... the OP admits he looked down AT his phone then hit the car in front of him. would not of happened (or less likely) if he didnt have phone in hand.

and ya... lets face it, he could have been reaching for his coffee, changing the station, etc... but he wasnt. he was talking on the phone. it happens...and BT is not the panacea either... but i believe it helps and people are not gonna stop talking and driving.

12. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pat,
    I love you Ausi's. Your police attend your accidents! Here in the states, we attend concerts, parties, shows, movies.

When they are attending, do they throw a couple steaks on the barbi and have a tailgate party? Maybe they only allow the tow truck drivers to attend the accident alone if they know the host doesn't know how to throw a fun accident.

And in Australia, you can leave two seconds between your car and the one in front without having two cars and a semi fill the space? That has got to be great!

Tell me, what kinds of expressions in our odd American version of English sound funny or different to you?

13. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You hit a Camry!? Jeez..this Yota on Yota violence makes me sick:frown:

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well please don't be like a woman and tell me what not to say, how would you say the police go to the scene of an accident?

In regard to the funny things you lot say, how about gas?
    Even though it's a liquid you call petrol gas? Here gas in a car is liquid (propane or petroleum) gas, which at atmospheric pressure and room temperature is actually a gas!

Auto? It's a car not an auto. The auto is attached to the back of the engine if the car hasn't got a manual transmission.

how you refer to your state with a 2 letter code, too busy to write the full name of the state I guess. If I said I was from SA where would you think I was from? That's how relevant that is to anyone outside USA.

Over the road driver, that is funny. Where else are they going to drive? It is a bit dirty under the road. I think you are referring to long haul or interstate drivers.

18 wheelers. A reasonable size articulated combination has at least 22 wheels, and proper big rig (that's another funny term) has 2 trailers or more like a B Double or road train.

Tractor-trailer. How can you call a prime mover a tractor? Case make tractors Mack and Kenworth make trucks.

Downtown. What do you say if the city is at the top of a hill? Is it still downtown?

Oh there are too many but it is worth remembering we have your culture and language piped into our homes every night so it is less likely to sound funny because I have learnt the language.

Normally when I read a funny term I have the manners not to comment on it. Occasionally I will though because the rude Pat takes over.

I think attend is a enforcement term rather than an Australian term. I work in enforcement remember.

"Aussies" is the correct spelling.

15. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

Very little is so important that it can't wait for a land-line.

Got by without cell phones for the beginning of my life, and will get by without them for the rest of it.

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I forgot about that you all (not y'all) still use miles, gallons, inches etc.
    And that gallon is so small.

17. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    If he hit a Camry, and it's anything like the one I used to drive, there's maybe a scratch in the bumper and that's it. I had highway collisions in that car and never had any problems. It took a licking and kept on ticking.

18. RMLamp

RMLamp New Member

We use 2 letter codes for states because the Post Office tells us to and you don't want to piss them off. Ever hear the expression, "Going postal?"

Going postal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Back on topic... I was broadsided by a lady who ran a stop sign going about 30 mph while talking on her cell phone to her veterinarian to get directions to their office. Fortunately I was in a minivan and she was in a Neon. Sent me spinning in circles for about a hundred feet with a rear tire bouncing on my windshield. Who says there's no divine justice? Perfect bruise on her face in the shape of a cell phone caused by her airbag.

20. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Address standardization yields more efficient mail sorting and faster delivery. Same reason for using ZIP Codes.

Sick people shooting up crowds is hardly a postal phenomenon, and not funny. Ask anyone associated with Virginia Tech.

And to abq sfr, I'd say that's a perfect definition of kharma.