1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stoplights, other drivers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by timwalsh300, Jun 2, 2008.

1. timwalsh300

timwalsh300 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Each of the last two days, at the same stoplight on Commonwealth Ave here in Boston, I've had this experience...

Seeing the light turn red a block or two ahead of me, I release the accelerator and begin gliding and braking, hoping to time the light so that I can just roll through without having to come to a complete stop. Once I've slowed down to 15-20 mph, the driver behind me blows his horn, slams on the gas in frustration, and swerves around me in the other lane... just in time to look up and see the red light and screech to a halt.

Yesterday it was a taxi driver talking on a cell phone. When I gently rolled up next to him I pointed to the light (now turning green) and smiled and he just shrugged his shoulders in embarrassment. Today it was a guy in a pick-up truck. Unfortunately I didn't get to see his reaction but I hope he felt like an idiot too. It's actually scary how shortsighted some people are when they are driving. And I bet these are the same guys I hear everyday complaining about gas prices.

Meanwhile I'm getting a little over 58 mpg on this tank. :D

Tim

2. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    which stoplight on comm ave?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm actually starting to see the opposite. (key word, "starting")

Instead of almost all cars behaving that way, I see about a half dozen cars who allow me to coast, maintain their distance, and "ride the light" with me.

4. timwalsh300

timwalsh300 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 or 3 lights east of Packard's Corner... near BU West.

I haven't seen that too much yet. When I see somebody who is tagging along behind me it's always because they are on the cell-phone and don't realize how slow they are going. Once they take notice (5 mph under the speed limit! :eek:), they change lanes and speed off. If only they knew that just following along behind me could probably double their usual fuel economy...

Tim

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, how long have you been driving in Boston? This is totally
    par for the course, not only here but in many cities. Bostonians
    are just a little more directedly vindictive about it sometimes,
    as opposed to just being completely clueless. But self-importance
    rules the knuckledragger mind, whatever city they live in.
    This is why I'm taking several steps to make it really clear,
    but I'm still sort of at my wits' end how to gracefully get
    people off my butt.
    _H*

6. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I drove in Boston once 15 years ago. Saw some guy go straight for the "barriers" and later realized they were only plastic and could be run over. Hmmm.

I've driven across 42 states and 7 provinces and I'd never seen driving like that before, except NYC. Just part of the local culture, like everywhere, whatever that culture might be...

Of course driving in Mexico and MANY other foreign countries can be pretty "fun" too.

7. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    timwalsh - wasn't it clearly stated once that the prius owners are intelligent and reflect intelligent driving habits??

cheers. keep up the gas saving techniques. i'm trying to learn all of these gas saving techniques now. my prius has actually slowed me down and forced me to think and drive with foresight instead of being a gas hogging, speed driving moron.

8. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III

ahh yes great section to practice thinking a few lights ahead

9. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    fyi if you are going 40 mph+ windshield wiper fluid will fly backwards onto a tailgaters windshield and make them realize just how close they are.

increasing speed and decreasing distance between cars maximizes this technique

10. timwalsh300

timwalsh300 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of good sections of road in the Boston area, I highly recommend taking Route 9 East from Natick into Boston. I drove this for the 2nd time today and it is a textbook stretch of road for practicing/learning hypermiling techniques... 50 mph speed limit, rolling hills, a few stoplights, and you can often see for a couple miles up ahead.

I just graduated from college so I've been in the city for 4 years but I've only started to notice this kind of stuff since I got my Prius last month (my first car :)) and have been driving around everyday. As a pedestrian I've always known that Boston drivers are aggressive, but now I see it as being economically wasteful too.

Tim

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, the best is when someone in a huge truck guns it to get past me just to wait at the red light, and I manage to time the light just right to drive past him (it is almost always a guy) as he floors the accelerator to get 3 tons of vehicle back up to speed.

Then it repeats at the next stoplight.

12. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As soon as I saw Comm Ave in the first post I thought, oh yeah, no one's gonna like the little Prius coasting up to the stoplights! Ahh, Comm Ave....definitely a fun place to watch some really interesting driving antics. My favorite is when people cross the T tracks when there is a train coming, block the tracks, and the T driver will inch the train up to within a foot of the car and then honk the horn at them. That'll wake you up.....

13. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III

it doesnt matter where you are, if you are within earshot of that t horn it will startle you

gotta get me one of those for my prius :D

14. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    haha me too man 2007 eng grad though congrats

15. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III

compared to NY driving in boston is a cake walk

16. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, well some folks are just slow learners....;)

It still yanks my chain that folks accelorate up to a red light. At least I'm starting to see less of it. Meaning that I'm no longer the only one out there who's hanging back trying to avoid stopping.

If I had to characterize the folks who I still see doing this, they're luxury car and big SUV drivers. I'm sure that there are exceptions, but at least from where I stand, it looks like more and more people are starting to "get real" about the way they drive.

17. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That makes three of us....'99 CAS grad here.

18. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not just Boston. By substituting oil for knowledge most drivers have a habit of accelerating toward a red light and braking at the last minute. Having a Prius glide (and regenerate) is a foreign concept to 99% of drivers. Stopping at a stoplight and not idling is another foreign concept. Road rage is rampant because drivers continue to substitute oil for knowledge rather than applying the knowledge (as with Prii). Model what you teach and we all come out ahead.

19. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    He He... Put a light oil in your wiper fluid tank. That will show 'um. :D:D:D

Bob

20. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Spoken by the expert.
    :D

ZC1