1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stopping HV charging from low SOC at idle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slimothy, Feb 27, 2014.

1. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When the HV battery hits a low SOC, it wants to then run the ICE continually until the SOC reaches 60% or thereabouts. Is there a way to stop that so that it puts a little bit of juice in, but not all the way up to 60%?

I've tried putting the car in neutral, however, the ICE still idles. It's better than letting it juice up the HV battery, but once I put it back in D, it resumes the forced ICE charging.

I want to save the extra battery capacity for a reasonably long downhill where I will use the extra HV capacity.

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is your heater on?

3. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nope, heater was off. The coolant temp is usually in the 150-160 F range.

4. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many bars on your SOC are you considering 60%.

Although heater is off what temp is the climate set at when you turn it back on?

5. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SOC per Torque... so if it ends up being that the SOC goes down to 40% (~2 bars), the ECU wants to bring the SOC all the way back up to 60%, rather than stop at 45% or some other number in between.

Power cycling the car seems to stop the charge-to-60% behavior, but it seems like a brute-force and impractical way to get it to just accept the SOC.

Heater temp is set to LO.

6. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I misread your original post and was thinking you were in park.

Is this what you are experiencing while driving?

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That doesn't sound normal to me. On my 2005 Prius the engine will only continue to run at idle if

1. The ICE is very cold.
    2. It's required for the cabin heat setting.
    3. The SOC is really low (pink bars). Mine cuts the engine as soon as it reaches 2 or 3 bars.

I don't see how that's better, idle just wastes energy.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Slimothy,

What is Torque showing the SOC to be in % when the MFD shows 6 full blue bars?

AND

What is the MFD showing when Torque reads 60% SOC?

9. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I see it trying to charge the battery when stopped (but in drive), it puts about 20 amps into the battery. It seems to do it pretty efficiently (low engine RPMs), but my goal is to leave enough regen headroom for a long downhill where I'm coming down at highways speeds to a stop (where in a lot of cases if I'm not around 50% SOC), it will use friction brakes significantly and then burn off charge with the ICE at 80% SOC.

The programming to run the ICE up to 4 bars makes sense when the car is used extensively for EV mode, where it tries to charge the HV battery efficiently so the engine doesn't cycle as often; just not for a transient low charge state.

Now I'm just more careful to avoid getting the HV battery to or below 40% SOC (low end of 2 bars).

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For all the effort you are going to, it seems to me that all you need to do is shift to "B" mode when doing the long downhill and coming to a stop as you describe.

Have you tried using B mode and seeing what the difference is?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried powering down and back up again?

12. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    60% SOC is reliably 6 of 8 bars. It goes to 7 at around 67%; and I can get it down to 42 or thereabouts before it starts to charge. And I'm normally trying to pay attention to what's going around me, so I notice the charging behavior when I hear the ICE run for more than a few seconds when stopped.

13. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, B works when I know I have a high SOC so that it burns more energy via the ICE than with the friction brakes.

Bisco--yes, power cycling works (no extra ICE charging). The biggest issue is that it takes a few seconds to power down and back up. Which might be the best solution if there aren't any alternatives, aside from running the HV battery so low.

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, normally unless there is a BIG load on the traction battery, the ICE should kick off somewhere around 3 to 4 blue bars which is supposed to be ~40% SOC. If Torque is saying you are going up to 60% and the MFD is showing 6 bars before the ICE kicks off, something is amiss.

What uart said above is what I see also.

If I have the A/C running (heavier load) sometimes the ICE will run until 4 bars, but for the most part usually kicks off around 3 bars and doesn't kick back in until 2 bars which would be pink.

Anyway, to make a long story short I would simply utilize B mode on the long down hill runs and let the Prius take care of itself. It is real hard to outthink or outsmart it.

Have fun and best of luck to you.

Also, I forgot my manners earlier. "Welcome" to Prius Chat!

15. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the welcome and the pointers on things to look for. Lots of searching certainly helped answer all sorts of questions.

Everything else seems to be okay and I don't see any codes thrown, so I'll assume that there's some logic that I'm hitting (likely not being in Stage 4 yet) that's getting in the way. FWIW, I've had the same behavior occur on a Gen 3 (a rental) where I was inching forward in slow traffic. In that case, the charge from low 2 bars back up to 6 bars made perfect sense.

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ahh, now we are getting down to where the rubber meets the road. The old S4 stage. YES, the Prius operates completely different in the way the ICE runs when you go through the different stages. And I CAN understand why the SOC would continue to rise on up to 60% if you are NOT in stage 4. That is NORMAL.

I do know for a fact that the SOC will rise to 60% if you are not in Stage 4. I see this anytime I allow the Prius to sit and idle on a cold morning. Yes, I know it wastes gas. But I am old and arthritic and I don't like driving a cold car. I am stiff enough as it is. :)

With all that has been said, I think you have NO problems.

17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok this is getting interesting. I'm certain than mine cuts out at about 3 bars in every stage except stage1 (the first stage when the ice is still cold). I wonder if this is a year model difference or a aircon heater setting or something. I'm absolutely certain that I've never seen mine charge to 6 bars without accelerator input.

18. slimothy

slimothy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It might also be a geographical (US) programming difference for our emissions requirements.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    uart,

I don't have a ScanGageII so I can't monitor exact temperature to determine actual stage. The way I tell if it is in stage 4 is the slow 10 second shut down at a stop sign or traffic light after going through the warm up cycle and then after that being able to glide down to 10 MPH while showing 99.9 on the MFD.

In reference to the SOC charging @ 6 bars, I have seen the arrows going from the ICE to the traction battery on the MFD when the Prius was sitting idling in the drive way after powering up on a cold morning. It would continue to charge for some time and then stop, then you would see the arrows point again to the traction battery signifying the charge while still @ 6 bars. I emphasize that this is only seen when warming up the Prius in VERY cold conditions (ambient 30 F ~) However once the Prius warms up enough the ICE will shut down and then after that the charging will begin at 2 bars and kick off at 3 or 4 like normal.

I really need to get a ScanGage.

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok that sounds more like what I'm familiar with. I often warm up for about a minute in the morning and it will definitely charge the battery, even 6 or 7 bars, during that warm up.

What I'm unsure about is the idea (as suggested by the op) that the ICE will *continue* to run and charge the battery all the way from 2 bars to 6 bars, even if the ICE has sufficient temperature to cut out. This is the thing I've never seen.

Yeah but it would seem strange that a requirement for your stricter emissions standards would be to allow the ICE to idle unnecessarily. :confused:

Can we get some confirmation from other US owners here. Under what conditions will the Prius ICE remain on and idling, with no accelerator pedal input, no heater requirements, and engine coolant at a reasonable temperature (150 to 160F). It doesn't seem right, has anyone else seen it?