1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Store or Sell?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Texas_Chad, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Texas_Chad

Texas_Chad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius with 86K miles and will be out of the country for nearly 2 years on business (temp work transfer) and was hoping to get a few opinions. Would you store or sell given the following assumptions?

-I have somewhere to store the car for free and most likely have someone that is willing to drive the car once every week or 2
    -I could have access to another car when I return temporarily until I buy another
    -The car should be under 100K miles when I return so if the battery goes bad it should be under warranty

From a pure financial perspective I'm leaning on selling the car, especially considering you never know if the car will be good when I return as it will be 7+ years old then (would prefer to cash in now with some guarantee $) but I wanted to get a few opinions from fellow PRIUS owners before making my decision.

Many thanks on the help.

2. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sell it. If it gets wrecked or stolen and your abroad it will be a major headache. Its also going to lose value just sitting there. When you get back buy another one.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sell.

- Maybe your overseas assignment will be extended.
    - The car's value will only decline over the two year period.
    - Save $1,500+ in auto insurance premiums and vehicle registration fees over two years.
    - Depending upon where the car is stored, maybe some mice will decide to take up residence.
    - It is a burden to whomever is tasked to drive the car weekly.

4. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sell. It will go quick.
    The value will decrease just sitting there in storage let alone as Partick said the cost of maintenance. Battery would be the least of the possible costs.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You must sell it.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll be under 100K miles, but the warranty will still expire due to age (7 years), no?

Sell. :(