1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Store Prius more than 10 days help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Auntmimi, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We can't seem to get the cover off (relay hatch cover) which is on the right hand side when facing the engine. The mechanic made it look very easy when showing me how to remove this cover so that we can disconnect the, I think it's called, the exclusive jump starting terminal.

I will be leaving my Prius for 6 weeks & am desparate to find out how to remove this black cover.

Thanks so much. Unfortunately, we are leaving early in the morning and doubt that I'll get a reply by then.

Mimi

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mimi @ Feb 22 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]394991[/snapback]</div>
    I am not quite sure what you are asking. Under the hood there's a terminal for jump starting, the little cover just snaps off I believe. Are you trying to hook up a trickle charger to the terminal? I don't think there's anything there that you can disconnect.

If you are trying to disconnect the 12V battery, it's in the rear hatch area. But I think you should be able to just turn the SKS off with the little button and your car should be fine.

3. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 22 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]394996[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, thank you for replying. There is something under that black box that the technician showed me that you disconnect if you are leaving your Prius for an extended time and I am for at least 6 weeks. It is under the hood on the right hand side and it does have a black arrow on it. I have a 2006 Prius. We can't figure out how to open it and imagine that it is just stuck. We are desparate to figure this out by 5 a.m. Do you have a '06 Prius as I'll get the manual & tell you which page to look on if you have time...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mimi @ Feb 22 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]395001[/snapback]</div>
    I see on one page, it is call a fuse block if that helps. It is wide at the top by the windshield and then it gets very narrow. pgs. 392 393

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mimi @ Feb 22 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]395001[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '05, and have taken that cover off so I'd know what to do in case it needs a jump. There are a bunch of relays and stuff under there, and the positive 12V terminal. I have no idea which relay you need to remove, and I'm not sure if that's in the manual or not, but I would suspect not, but someone else here probably knows.

Anyway, as to removing that cover, there are 3 clips holding it on -- two along the top, and one at the bottom. Use your fingernails to unhook the two at the top, and the one at the bottom if you can reach there, if not, once the top is loose, just lift it on up a bit and the bottom should pop loose.

5. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 22 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]395008[/snapback]</div>
    Thk U so much. We'll give that a try. I see you are from Raleigh. We are on our way to Hickory to visit our daughter & family.

The technician gave me a Tech Service Bulletin PG007-03 dated Oct. 9, 2003 title: Maintenance for Hv & Auxiliary batteries, models '04 -- -06 and it states: In order to store for 10 days or more: Disconnect wire harness from exclusive jump starting terminal (found in Junction Block under hood.) (Prevent decreasing S
    OC during storage due to parasitic current drain.)

If you want the directions, I'd be happy to type them up for you.

Thank you so much for your help. Mimi

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mimi @ Feb 22 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]395011[/snapback]</div>

Google turns that TSB up here: http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&...ost&id=6189

In reading those TSB directions, p. 7 & 8, it looks like they have your remove the 12V terminal nut, and then remove the wire to it... if it were me, I'd just go remove the ground wire off of the 12V battery in the cargo compartment. Much safer, less danger of sparks or something bad happening. Either way, be careful, especially if you decide to follow the TSB directions, since that terminal is hot.

7. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mimi @ Feb 23 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]395011[/snapback]</div>
    My husband wants me to just hit that button which is down by my knees to disconnect the smart key. I hit it once by mistake and found that the Prius wouldn't start. When I phoned the tech, he said to push in that button. I don't remember what it is called. If that is good enough, I don't know why the tech didn't tell me.

If we give the original a try, we'll be careful. If we do nothing, I imagine my battery will be dead in 6 weeks when I return. Thank you, once again.

Mimi

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mimi @ Feb 22 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]395023[/snapback]</div>
    That button turns off the smart key. You have to put the key back into the little slot then to start your car I thought... That will cut down on the drain to the battery.

But: if I were leaving the car for six weeks, I'd want to disconnect the 12V battery, either by taking one of the cables off of it, or following the directions in the TSB. Removing the battery cable seems simpler to me than the steps in the TSB. If you can't do either, it might be fine when you come back with just the SKS off, or worst case, you'd need a jump, not the end of the world as we know it. The jumping instructions are in the manual, remove that cover, there's a 12V terminal there, positive to positive and ground on the frame.

Have a good trip!

9. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 23 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]395027[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again. Good night.