1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Storing a 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kornfeind, Nov 25, 2010.

1. kornfeind

kornfeind New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have to store my Gen III 2010 Prius for 6 months. Can I put a battery minder on to the 12 volt battery? There will be no one to start the car--it will be sitting idle for for all of those months. Any suggestions as to what to do to to make sure it remains in good running condition upon my return, would be helpful.

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The best solution would be for a trusted friend to start the car about every 15 days, and drive it @ freeway speeds for about 10 minutes. Also, I see you live in Florida, where the humidity can be very high. If the car isn't stored in an air conditioned environment, you will probably have a mildew problem. Driving the car with A/C running will mitigate that also.

Good Luck...

3. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, you should.

My suggestions:

Use a gasoline storage additive for long term storage to prevent varnish in the fuel system.

If the motor oil is older than around five months or five thousand miles, then have it changed before storage to minimize internal corrosion.

Put a few extra psi in the tires, and raise the car off the ground to prevent flat spots on the tires.

Store the car in a cool place to reduce the risk of a self discharged high voltage battery.

Force charge the high voltage battery until full, also to reduce the risk of a self discharged high voltage battery.

Cover the car with a permeable fabric, not waterproof plastic.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited