1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Storing Lithium batteries

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am cleaning up after a most intense summer of hard, hard work... ummm maybe more accurate to say I thought about hard, hard work.

But, it is O.K. to store the battery in the tool. Read the manual for my Bauer Reciprocating Saw (an actual Harbor Freight tool that seems to work well) and it says not to do it because of the chance of the saw starting and causing injury.

Well, I don't store it with the blade installed. And even if I did, I think I would manage to NOT press on both the buttons needed to start the silly thing.

So, battery in tool, O.K.?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It that "battery pack"?

They like to be a human habitat temperature before use. Otherwise, no problem as long as in a battery assembly/pack. If the cells have a problem and leak, it won't damage the tool. If outside of the tool, protect the contacts to prevent an inadvertent short.

Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Oct 8, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I treat all my batteries like paint cans. Not in the garage where they freeze. I have a special cabinet in the storeroom of the basement that never gets below 60 degrees or above 80 due to the hot water heaters and HVAC system in there. I always pull my batteries out of the device and cover the exposed contacts with paper tape.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I live in a moderate climate. middle of NC. 5 to 105 degrees at the extremes over 15 years but probably no more that 15 days at either extreme.

I have had simultaneously up to 5 batteries on chargers and several attached to string trimmers, blowers, hedge trimmers. Several different brands (currently EGO) I charged some inside the house in a laundry room 12 feet from my bedroom.

Some older ones I charged outside in an unheated garage. The ones outside were much older and lower voltage (and in fact have now been disposed of for the higher voltage ones).

I now keep a battery on the blower. Two on inside chargers. Two chargers, 4 total 56v batteries.

One pad, two cell phones, one portable computer. All charged and generally kept inside. Three old similar I should get rid of. Gotta remember to wipe them.

Now 4 garage door openers. All kept outside in or near the garage.

Some 15 years experience.

Never an issue. A suspect a lawyer wrote that cover with tape bit. I'd worry more about getting adhesive on the contacts if I did that.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the tool have a true mechanical on/off switch, the type that completely cuts off power?

Or is it an 'electronic' switch, the sort that has some electronic logic behind it to control power? This type is continually drawing a small amount of power to keep the digital logic for the switch alive, so slowly but continuously drains the battery. Some devices do this with truly extremely low battery drain, less than the battery self-discharge. But others are not as well designed, and drain the battery too fast for extended storage. Their batteries really ought to be removed.

Or, the manual's battery removal advice might be just legal CYA.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ That.
    A saw with the blade removed isn't much of a saw.

7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    O.K. Sounds as if I am safe.

Thanks all as always for the help.

For those asking, it is a typical rechargeable. Looks Like:

upload_2023-10-10_10-41-35.jpeg