1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

storing my prius for 6 months

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davedog, Jan 9, 2006.

1. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm going to be leaving the country for about 5-6 months.

i have many options-- selling, storing, allowing a family member free access to drive whenever, having a family member drive once every few days just to have it "run", etc etc.

i'm leaning toward NOT selling it due to the hassle, and i'm looking into the effects of storing the prius in my garage for 6 months without movement.

any suggestions or experience you can share about storing a prius without killing it? i'd appreciate it a lot! i'm thinking i should unplug internal batteries, and change the oil right beforehand. anything else? i'd get a car cover, and it'd sit in a flat garage without being moved at all. it will probably have around 9000 miles when i leave it to hybidnate :)

bad idea? good idea? thanks!

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Having the car driven periodically would be a fine plan, and removes any need to consider the rest of this message.

As far as batteries you would only need to disconnect the 12 volt. There is only a slight possibility that the high voltage battery could self-discharge in 6 months, and your best defense against that would be to raise it to 80% state of charge before leaving, with the trick known as "force charging". Not all will agree with the wisdom of that.

There have been several reports of rodents, etc nesting in the ventilation system or chewing wires. Some have said that mothballs under the car are ineffective. There have been posts about how to rodent-proof the air intake. For the previous model Prius (like mine) apparently setting the HVAC to "recirc" is helpful, but I don't know how to do that in your model.

The fuel tank should be full for storage, and consider adding "Stabil" from a car parts store to the fuel system.

The tires will eventually lose some air and get flat spotted on the bottom. Best way to prevent that would be to raise it at all 4 wheels.

When you return, check cabin air and engine air filters for "invasions". Charge the 12 v battery on the bench while lowering the car, reinstall battery, and start up again no problems. The radio presets and clock time will need to be reset.

I would not even consider selling it.

DAS

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    tochahibu is right on the spot.

Disconnect the 12v battery, slightly raise the car so that the entire weight of the car is not 100% on all four wheels, and some stores sell "fuel stabilizer" which basically keeps the fuel good for months of storage. I've never used it so if anyone wants to give a second opinion on it, please.

If you don't want to raise the car, then you'll just have to "reinflate" the tires when you come back. Personally i'd just disconnect the battery and add some fuel prolonger.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Make sure you turn off the smart key system. The switch is located underneath the steering wheel. It would be nice to have someone drive it every so often so that the tyres aren't always in the same position.

5. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey thanks everyone!

the pros to storing verses having someone drive it... are not having to pay insurance! haha